2022 MLS SuperDraft: Colorado Rapids Select Three Players, Acquire up to $125,000 in GAM
COMMERCE CITY, Colo - The Colorado Rapids have selected midfielder Mohamed Omar from the University of Notre Dame (23rd overall), defender Anthony Markanich from Northern Illinois University (26th overall) and forward Roberto Molina from Las Vegas Lights FC (45th overall) in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas.
"We're pleased with the results of today's SuperDraft," said Pádraig Smith, Colorado Rapids Executive VP & General Manager. "Our club remains committed to developing young players and we believe the SuperDraft continues to be a valuable mechanism for acquiring players with the potential to contribute at the next level."
Omar, 22, captained Notre Dame to its first-ever ACC Men's Soccer Championship during his senior season in 2021. The six-foot-three midfielder made 69 appearances during his four years with the Fighting Irish, recording six goals and three assists. A native of Toronto, Canada, Omar has previously trained with Canada's U-20 men's national team.
Markanich, 21, was a three-time First-Team All-MAC honoree during his four seasons at Northern Illinois University. The 21-year-old left back made 67 appearances for the Huskies, registering 17 goals and adding 24 assists, the latter of which are second-most all-time in program history.
Molina, 20, is a product of the University of California, Irvine, and finished his college career early to pursue his professional career with Las Vegas Lights FC in the ULS Championship last year. The winger made 30 appearances with the Nevadan side, recording two goals and five assists. A native of El Salvador, Molina has three caps with El Salvador's men's national team.
Earlier in the day, Colorado acquired the 26th overall pick after trading the 10th overall pick to Nashville SC in exchange for $125,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money (GAM) and $50,000 in conditional GAM.
TRANSACTION: Colorado Rapids select midfielder Mohamed Omar 23rd overall, defender Anthony Markanich 26th overall and forward Roberto Molina 45th overall in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas; Rapids acquire $125,000 in 2022 GAM, $50,000 in conditional 2022 GAM and the 26th pick in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas in exchange for the 10th pick in the 2022 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 12, 2022
- Colombia and Honduras Announce Rosters for January Friendly at DRV PNK Stadium - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Hires Jerome Elenez as Vice President of Marketing - FC Dallas
- Goalkeeper Gavin Beavers Signs with Real Salt Lake as Homegrown Player - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Makes Three Performance Staff Hires - Inter Miami CF
- LAFC Signs Free Agent Midfielder Ilie Sánchez - Los Angeles FC
- Andy Polo Called up to Peruvian National Team for Pair of International Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Signs Midfielder Scott Caldwell - Real Salt Lake
- Yimmi Chara Called up to Colombian National Team for Friendly Match vs. Honduras - Portland Timbers
- Benny Feilhaber Named Sporting KC II Head Coach - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Makes Multiple Moves in the First Round of the 2022 MLS SuperDraft - New York Red Bulls
- 2022 MLS SuperDraft: Colorado Rapids Select Three Players, Acquire up to $125,000 in GAM - Colorado Rapids
- SuperDraft Roundup: FC Cincinnati Select Three Players in MLS SuperDraft 2022 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Host Nashville SC in First-Ever Regular Season Meeting at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park
- Keys against Nashville SC: Capitalize on Set Pieces and Keep an Eye on Mukhtar
- Canadian International Mark-Anthony Kaye Called up to National Team for June Matches
- Robin Fraser Boosts Head Coaching Tenure with 50 Regular Season Wins
- SuperDraft Pick Anthony Markanich Showcases Versatility, Confidence in MLS Debut