2019 American Association Schedule Released
SIOUX CITY, IA - The Sioux City Explorers announced today that their schedule for the 2019 season has been finalized and will feature all 11 league opponents coming to Mercy Field at Lewis & Clark Park, which will mark the teams 27th season in Siouxland. The Explorers will begin their quest to defend their 2018 South Division Championship on Thursday, May 16th at home at Mercy Field @ Lewis & Clark Park versus the Lincoln Saltdogs.
The American Association will once again operate with a total of 12 teams and will remain in a two-division format. The Wichita Wingnuts franchise will not play in the 2019 season and will be replaced by the Milwaukee Milkmen, who will join the league's North Division. Sioux Falls will move into the South Division, renewing the I-29 rivalry, with the Explorers and Canaries set to face off 14 times in the 2019 season. Along with Sioux City and Sioux Falls, the Cleburne Railroaders, Kansas City T-Bones, Lincoln Saltdogs, and the Texas Airhogs will compete in the League's South Division. The North Division will be comprised of the Chicago Dogs, Fargo-Moorhead Redhawks, Gary SouthShore RailCats, St. Paul Saints, Winnipeg Goldeyes, and the league's newest member, the Milwaukee Milkmen.
The two-division format once again will provide the opportunity for a more balanced schedule with Explorers having 2 series' at home and 2 series' on the road against South Division teams, while playing teams from the opposite North Division in a series once at home and once on the road. The Explorers will face South Division opponents 63 times while facing North Division teams a total of 37 times.
There will be 50 home games played at Mercy Field at Lewis & Clark Park with an equal number of games to be played on the road. Four teams will qualify for the playoffs (2 from the South Division, 2 from the North Division) with the top two teams from each division playing in the best-of-5 semifinals, with the winners of that playing in the best-of-5 championship series. The American Association All-Star game will once again return in 2019 with the St. Paul Saints hosting the festivities at CHS Field on July 22 and 23. The Sioux City Explorers will release their 2019 game times and promotions schedule in a future press release.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from November 14, 2018
- RailCats Announce Full Schedule and Opening Day for 2019 Season - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- F-M RedHawks Announce 2019 Schedule - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- T-Bones Announce 2019 Schedule - Kansas City T-Bones
- Saints Open 2019 Season with Record Tying 10 Straight at Home; Host All-Star Game - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Announce Schedule, Season Begins May 16th - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 2019 American Association Schedule Released - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux City Explorers Stories
- Justin Vernia Returning to X's Pitching Staff for 2019 Season
- Ian McKinney Joins Seattle Mariners Organization
- 2019 American Association Schedule Released
- Explorers Trade Flores, Picht and Topoozian to Sioux Falls
- Parker Markel Joins Seattle Mariners Organization