Barons Welcome Members of the '64 Barons to Regions FieldMay 7, 2013 - Southern League (SL) - Birmingham Barons Press Release
'Southern League' brings readers unprecedented access to the most volatile year in Civil Rights history and the incredible story of the '64 Birmingham Barons, the first racially-integrated team of any sport in the state of Alabama. Tracing the entire season from spring training until the following September, Colton brings to life the incredible exploits of legendary players like John "Blue Moon" Odom, outfielder Tommie Reynolds, Hoss Bowlin, Paul Lindblad and manager Haywood Sullivan, a white former major leaguer, who grew up in nearby Dothan, Alabama.
The book also explores the unique and extraordinary relationships between the players themselves. While the Barons were fighting right down to the last day of the season for a championship, the team battled racial tensions that accompanied everyday life in Birmingham in 1964.
Colton, a former pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies, is the author of several books, including Counting Coup, Goat Brothers and No Ordinary Joes. He has written for Esquire, Sports Illustrated, and the New York Times Magazine. In 1966 Colton played in the Southern League for a farm team in Macon, GA.
"Those who say that sports do not, or should not, make us think about anything beyond the field itself have always been wrong. The summer of '64 and the stories found in SOUTHERN LEAGUE demonstrate that once again," said legendary Sportscaster Bob Costas.
Members of the '64 team including "Blue Moon" Odom, Tommie Reynolds, Ron Tompkins, Joe Grzenda, Hoss Bowlin, Paul Seitz, Rich Allen and others will be on hand for a special pre-game ceremony as the Barons take on the Montgomery Biscuits. Gates open at 5:30 PM with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 PM. Fans will have the opportunity to purchase the book and collect autographs from the players during the game. A portion of the book proceeds will be donated to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.
For ticket information, game schedule, promotions calendar or for additional information about Regions Field, call (205) 988-3200 or visit www.barons.com, www.facebook.com/birminghambarons or Twitter: @bhambarons.
Southern League Stories from May 7, 2013
- Generals Blast Stars In Series Opener, 8-3 - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Fall in Five-Inning Game Tuesday Night, 16-0 - Tennessee Smokies
- Barons Welcome Members of the '64 Barons to Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- INF Torres added to Tennessee's roster; OF Ha placed on disabled list; RHP Fujikawa on MLB rehab - Tennessee Smokies
- RHP Burgoon Returns to Jackson, Placed on DL - Jackson Generals
- Generals Game Information (Tuesday, May 7) - Jackson Generals
- Mathis joins Suns on MLB Rehab from Marlins - Jacksonville Suns
- Cubs' Kyuji Fujikawa Scheduled to Rehab at Smokies Park - Tennessee Smokies
- M-Braves Announce Baseball Camp Dates - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.