Timbers Development Update: May 6, 2013May 6, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Portland Timbers Press Release
Both the Timbers U-18 and U-16 Academy rebounded from recent losses to Washington Crossfire to earn a draw and victory, respectively, against the Earthquakes Academy teams Saturday. The two Portland teams each scored four goals Sunday in wins over Cal Odyssey.
The Timbers U-18s (10-11-6, 36pts) scored in second-half stoppage time to earn a 1-1 draw against the Earthquakes U-18s on Saturday. After going down a goal in the 80th minute, the Timbers U-18s earned a penalty kick in the final moments of the match, and midfielder James Nosack (Ridgefield, Wash.) converted from the spot - his 11th goal of the season - to help the home side earn a share of the points.
On Sunday, the Timbers U-18s overcame an early goal to record a 4-2 victory over Cal Odyssey. Midfielder Foster Langsdorf (Vancouver, Wash.) recorded a brace, while Nosack scored his second goal of the weekend and forward Spencer Kleweno (Portland, Ore.) each scored for the U-18s, who sit in fifth place in the Northwest Division of the U.S. Soccer Development Academy.
After seeing a 10-game unbeaten streak come to an end against Crossfire on April 27, the Timbers U-16s got back on track with a 3-0 win over the Earthquakes U-16s on Saturday. Forward Ben White (Tigard, Ore.) scored in the 32nd minute, while midfielders Reid Baez (Salem, Ore.) and Jacob Kempf (Camas, Wash.) each tallied in the second half. Goalkeeper Joe Wheelwright recorded the shutout.
Against Cal Odyssey on Sunday, the Timbers U-16s (11-7-8, 41pts) received a two-goal performance by Niko De Vera (Washougal, Wash.) en route to a 4-1 win. Kempf tallied his second goal of the weekend and midfielder Jessie Garcia-Aguilar (Hillsboro, Ore.) also scored in the win. Goalkeeper Miguel Martin earned the victory for the Timbers U-16s.
With two wins on the weekend, the Timbers U-16 Academy sits in fourth place in the Northwest Division for their age group and remains in contention for a wildcard berth in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy playoffs.
The Timbers Academy teams finish the 2012-13 regular season on Saturday, June 1, as they play host to the Seattle Sounders FC Academy at the adidas Timbers Training Center. Kickoff for the U-18s is set for 1 p.m. (Pacific), with the U-16s kicking off at 3:30 p.m. (Pacific).
Sixteen local teams crowned champions of Timbers OPL State Cup over the weekend The finals of the 2013 Portland Timbers Oregon Premier League (OPL) State Cup took place on Saturday at the THPRD Howard M. Terpenning Sports Complex in Beaverton, Ore., with 16 club teams taking home titles in their respective age groups. The tournament featured eight different age groups from U-11 to U-18 for both boys and girls.
Several teams affiliated with adidas Timbers Alliance clubs finished among the winners and finalists. The Westside Timbers Boys '01 Copa (Boys U-11), Eastside Timbers '00 Girls Red (Girls U-12), Westside Timbers Boys '99 Copa (Boys U-13), Westside Timbers Girls '97 Copa (Girls U-15), Westside Timbers Boys '96 Copa (Boys U-16) and Westside Timbers Boys '95 Copa (Boys U-17) all won titles in their respective age groups.
Additionally, the Eastside Timbers '01 Boys Red (Boys U-11), Westside Timbers Boys '00 Copa (Boys U-12), Eastside Timbers '97 Girls Red (Girls U-15) and Bend FC Timbers '96 Boys (Boys U-16) were all finalists in their respective age groups.
State Cup Winners from the U-13 to U-17 age groups have the opportunity to advance to the US Club Soccer National Cup in Denver, Colo., as representatives of the Oregon Premier League. The Timbers and OPL announced a formal development partnership on May 1, 2012.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2013
- Regenerative Training Session for Chivas USA - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- After Watching Chivas' Kennedy See Red, LA Galaxy Wonder Why Houston's Tally Hall Wasn't Ejected - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Acquire Colombian Defender Germán Mera - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Development Update: May 6, 2013 - Portland Timbers
- Youth Update: Oakwood SC - New England Revolution
- First Tranfer Window Closes Today - This Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy U-18's Enjoy Big Weekend - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Eastern Conference Roundup: May 6 - Columbus Crew SC
- Graham Zusi Named MLS Player of the Week - Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting Kansas City Midfielder Graham Zusi Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact BMO Public Practices Return in 2013 - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Host Philadelphia Union for Saturday Afternoon Showdown - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- United Match against Houston Dynamo on Wednesday, May 8, to Air on CSN Plus - D.C. United
- Continental Tire to Expand North American Soccer Presence - MLS
- Galaxy Fall to Dynamo - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Driver Goal Lifts Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.