Impact Faces Earthquakes in San Jose SaturdayMay 3, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Montreal Impact Press Release
Head to head
In 2012, the Impact won the only matchup between the two teams, 3-1 on August 18 at Stade Saputo. Last season's MLS goal scoring leader Chris Wondolowski scored first for his team (PK); one of his 27 on the year in the matchup, before Di Vaio, midfielders Lamar Neagle and Patrice Bernier (PK) replied for the home side.
Quakes forward Steven Lenhart and Impact defender Hassoun Camara were both ejected from the contest following an altercation in the box, which resulted in a penalty that Wondo slotted home.
In its last matchup, the Impact registered a convincing 6-0 win against Toronto FC in the second leg of the Amway Canadian Championship, Wednesday night, at Stade Saputo, on goals by Marco Di Vaio (2), Daniele Paponi, Justin Mapp, Andres Romero and Andrew Wenger, taking the home and away aggregate series 6-2.
With the win, the Impact qualified for the final aggregate goal series of the Amway Canadian Championship, set for May 15 and 29 against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC.
The Impact hosted the Chicago Fire last weekend in MLS regular season action and remains undefeated at Stade Saputo, taking the matchup 2-0 on goals by Romero, his first in MLS and nominated for Goal of the Week honours, and Marco Di Vaio (4G). The Impact's record in Montreal improved to 3-0-1 in MLS play as a result, while on the road the team is 2-1-0 with victories in Seattle and Portland.
With that win, the Impact regained the top spot in the Eastern Conference on 16 points, holding games in hand on the three teams sitting below them in the standings at 14 points, New York, Houston and Sporting Kansas City.
Impact defender Matteo Ferrari is expected to make his return to the lineup, following a little over two weeks of inactivity due to a calf injury, while team captain Davy Arnaud and forward Daniele Paponi did not travel to the West Coast due to injuries.
San Jose Earthquakes news
Last season's the Supporters Cup winners, currently sit out of playoff spot, holding down sixth place in the Western Conference standings with 10 points from nine games (2-3-4) and are 2-1-2 in game splayed at Buck Shaw Stadium.
San Jose is winless in five games and has scored just eight times in nine matches this season, while allowing 11 goals against.
In its last matchup, the Quakes played Chivas USA to a 2-2 draw on the road, at Home Depot Center, with Designated Player Chris Wondolowski scoring his fourth of the season and first-time goal scorer Cordell Cato picked up the equalizer late in the game.
Earthquakes forward Alan Gordon will miss the match as he is serving a three-game suspension for unacceptable language, while fellow attacker Steven Lenhart will also miss the game, serving his first of a two-game ban.
The California-based team lost defender Ike Opara in a deal with Sporting Kansas City in the offseason, but acquired fellow back liner Ty Harden and acquired former Impact forward Mike Fucito.
Rookie forward Adam Jahn has impressed in three starts (seven total appearances), scoring two goals in just 297 minutes played.
The Impact will be back in Montreal Sunday and will then play a second straight game on the road, travelling to New Jersey to take on the New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena this Wednesday, May 8, at 7:30pm (ET). The game will be broadcast live on TVA Sports.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 3, 2013
- Charlie Rugg and Greg Cochrane Feel Ready to Play If Called - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Take on Columbus Crew Saturday at 4:00 pm on Nbc Sports - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting KC Hosts Chivas USA on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- U.S. WNT Will Face Korea Republic at Gillette Stadium - New England Revolution
- Red Bull Arena to Host U.S. Women's National Team - New York Red Bulls
- Impact Faces Earthquakes in San Jose Saturday - Montreal Impact
- Timbers' Silvestre Sustains ACL Injury - Portland Timbers
- Rapids and Coca-Cola to Support Rocky Mountain USO - Colorado Rapids
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL V. Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Real Salt Lake
- Tickets for the Chicago Fire vs. Club America Match Now On Sale - Chicago Fire
- Preview: Crew vs. Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew vs. New York Red Bulls - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers Acquire Defender Pa Modou Kah - Portland Timbers
- No Wholesale Upgrades to Columbus Crew Stadium Just Yet - Columbus Crew SC
- Recalled from Rochester, Bilal Duckett Helps Revolution Keep Another Clean Sheet - New England Revolution
- Revolution Tie Timbers on the Road - New England Revolution
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Run to Seven After Draw with Revolution - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.