Earthquakes Sign Two Rookies, Acquire Cordell Cato from Seattle Sounders FCMarch 1, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - San Jose Earthquakes
Cato, 20, had one assist in eight appearances during his first MLS season in 2012 for Seattle. The Trinidad and Tobago native also scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 result for Sounders FC against the Earthquakes during U.S. Open Cup play in July. All told, the speedy Trinidadian had one goal and two assists in four U.S. Open Cup matches last year.
"He came in a year ago for training and did very well," said Earthquakes head coach Frank Yallop. "We know quite a bit about Cordell. He's a young, exciting, pacy attacking player who adds another dimension to our squad."
In addition to his experience during the MLS regular season and USOC, Cato appeared in three CONCACAF Champions League matches for Seattle, recording one assist in the process while helping his squad advance to the quarterfinals. Prior to joining MLS, Cato represented the Trinidad and Tobago at the CONCACAF U-20 Championship.
"Cordell is a speedy winger with a lot of upside. He has the raw attributes that we're looking for and just needs some experience on the field," said Earthquakes general manager John Doyle.
Muller, 21, was San Jose's first round pick (No. 15 overall) in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. He captained a Georgetown squad that reached the 2012 NCAA College Cup Final in Hoover, Ala. The 5-foot-11 center back was a three-year starter, scoring four goals and recording four assists in 64 career appearances. He was an All-Big East Third Team selection in 2012. As a youth player, Muller was a two-time member of the Super Y Olympic Developmental Program National Team. He also played 13 seasons with club team Orlando FC.
Jahn, 22, was a four-year starter for Stanford before the Earthquakes selected him in the first round (No. 15 overall) of the 2013 MLS Supplemental Draft. The target man had 16 goals and 10 assists in 65 career appearances for the Cardinal. He was an All-Pac 12 and All-Far West Region selection as a junior in 2011 and a senior in 2012. Jahn has also seen time for U.S. youth teams, making the camp roster for the U-20s in July of 2010 and suiting up for the U-18s as a prep with Jesuit High School in Carmichael, Calif.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2013
- LA Galaxy ready to open the 2013 season on Sunday at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Introduces a Renewed Rebaño Angelino - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Galaxy Players to Receive Their Championship Rings on Sunday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo Open 2013 Season on Saturday vs. D.C. United at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Sign Anding, Fernandes and Konopka - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Team with T-Mobile for Second Straight Season to Create "T-Mobile 4G Power Zone" - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Opens Season on Saturday at Philadelphia - Sporting Kansas City
- Cordell Cato Traded to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Two Rookies, Acquire Cordell Cato from Seattle Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Team up with Supporters Groups for Season Opener Watch Parties - New England Revolution
- As Rest of MLS Opens, Revs Continue Preseason Prep - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Sign Defenders Mike Chabala, Anthony Arena - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at San Jose Earthquakes - Sunday, March 3 - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Midfielder Peter Luccin Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Beach FC and Adidas Reach Regional Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Impact Set to Kick off the 2013 Regular Season this Saturday at 10:30pm in Seattle - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Sign Cameroonian Midfielder Yazid Atouba - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Signs Darel Russell - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Signs Morgan, Bennett, and Osorio - Toronto FC
- Revolution Signs Gabe Latigue - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Signs Welsh International Earnshaw - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Forward Chandler Hoffman - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Brian Ching - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines D.C. United's Dwayne De Rosario - MLS
- LA Galaxy to Unveil New Multiuse Sport Court at Boys and Girls Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Know Style Change Is Needed as They Prepare for Life without David Beckham - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.