D.C. United, Beach FC and Adidas Reach Regional Affiliate Agreement
Washington, D.C. (March 1, 2013) - D.C. United and Beach FC - in conjunction with adidas - today announced a regional affiliate agreement, the third of its kind for D.C. United and a youth soccer club. Under the agreement, Beach FC will be one of D.C. United's primary sources in identifying and developing the top youth talent. United will share its coaching resources and will work with Beach FC to follow its training curriculum and system of play. Top players in the Beach FC system, identified by both D.C. United and Beach FC, will have the opportunity to join the D.C. United Academy teams, with a strong priority being placed on the Under-14, Under-16 and Under-18 age groups.
"We are very excited that Beach FC will join us as our third affiliate club," said Sonny Silooy, D.C. United's Director of Youth Development. "Beach FC has a proven track record of cultivating talent for top college programs, Major League Soccer and the U.S. Men's National Team pool, and we look forward to combining resources and expertise to further develop players in the region."
"Beach FC is extremely proud and excited to be invited into an affiliate partnership with D.C. United," said Beach FC Executive Director Steve Danbusky. "To be able to align with a professional club at the highest level, with a rich tradition both on and off the field, was very appealing to us. The exposure and access that our staff and players will receive will most certainly enhance their development and serve as an added motivator to push on to the next level. In addition, the partnership will provide the opportunity for our elite "¨male players to be identified and train in D.C. United's Youth Academy, which will serve as a tremendous supplement to their Beach FC and ODP participation."
In addition to the player identification and development component of the affiliate agreement, Beach FC will be outfitted with D.C. United and adidas-branded training gear, uniforms and coaching gear, and will receive special D.C. United ticketing opportunities for players and their families.
"The United States has some of the best athletic talent in the world, and it's our goal to provide homegrown athletes with opportunities to play elite soccer," said Antonio Zea, Director of Soccer for adidas America. "With our recent extension of the Major League Soccer contract, we have put the importance of youth development at a premium, and are excited about helping create Youth Club Alliances with local MLS clubs. This partnership between Beach FC, D.C. United and adidas will prove to be a great step in developing the next generation of American soccer icons."
"'This agreement continues our development of strategically integrated business initiatives," said Doug Hicks, D.C. United's Chief Marketing Officer. "We look forward to engaging with additional local and regional clubs in the weeks ahead."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2013
- LA Galaxy ready to open the 2013 season on Sunday at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Introduces a Renewed Rebaño Angelino - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Galaxy Players to Receive Their Championship Rings on Sunday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo Open 2013 Season on Saturday vs. D.C. United at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Sign Anding, Fernandes and Konopka - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Team with T-Mobile for Second Straight Season to Create "T-Mobile 4G Power Zone" - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Opens Season on Saturday at Philadelphia - Sporting Kansas City
- Cordell Cato Traded to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Two Rookies, Acquire Cordell Cato from Seattle Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Team up with Supporters Groups for Season Opener Watch Parties - New England Revolution
- As Rest of MLS Opens, Revs Continue Preseason Prep - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Sign Defenders Mike Chabala, Anthony Arena - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at San Jose Earthquakes - Sunday, March 3 - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Midfielder Peter Luccin Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Beach FC and Adidas Reach Regional Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Impact Set to Kick off the 2013 Regular Season this Saturday at 10:30pm in Seattle - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Sign Cameroonian Midfielder Yazid Atouba - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Signs Darel Russell - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Signs Morgan, Bennett, and Osorio - Toronto FC
- Revolution Signs Gabe Latigue - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Signs Welsh International Earnshaw - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Forward Chandler Hoffman - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Brian Ching - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines D.C. United's Dwayne De Rosario - MLS
- LA Galaxy to Unveil New Multiuse Sport Court at Boys and Girls Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Know Style Change Is Needed as They Prepare for Life without David Beckham - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.