LA Galaxy ready to open the 2013 season on Sunday at The Home Depot Center
CARSON, Calif. - David Beckham is off to Paris. Landon Donovan is off to parts unknown as he continues his extended break from the game. But don't worry about the two-time defending champion LA Galaxy.
They are ready to pursue a third consecutive MLS Cup, starting Sunday at The Home Depot Center against the Chicago Fire (2 p.m., Time Warner Cable SportsNet, UniMas, LIVE CHAT).
"We have to be (ready), right?" veteran left back Todd Dunivant said after training this week. "It's time."
Sunday's game, the earliest start to a regular season in club history, will be preceded by a ceremony during which the players will receive their MLS Cup championship rings.
The Galaxy are 8-6-3 in their first game of the regular season and 10-5-2 in their first home game of the year. Since moving to The Home Depot Center in 2003, the Galaxy are 2-2-1 when opening their season at home. But they're also just 0-2-1 in their first game of a new season after winning MLS Cup, including a 3-1 home loss to Real Salt Lake to open the 2012 season.
The Galaxy are intent on avoiding a similar start to that of a year ago, when they were 3-8-2 at one point and appeared to be in danger of missing the playoffs before their stunning turnaround.
"I think the start last year was so disappointing we want to try to amend a little bit from last year," head coach Bruce Arena said.
They'll have to do it without Beckham, who took his seven goals and nine assists in the league last season to Paris-Saint Germain in France's Ligue 1. Arena acknowledged there will be some adjustments to make without the popular England international.
"Not having David we lose one of the best passers in the history of the game. We're not going to replace that," Arena said. "We won't be as dangerous in some ways, when the ball turns over in our favor.
"Maybe collectively we can do better. That's all you hope to do. There's no David Beckham out here replacing the last David Beckham."
Also gone is goalkeeper Josh Saunders, now with Real Salt Lake after failing to come to contract terms with the Galaxy. He's been replaced by 39-year-old Carlo Cudicini, formerly of Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur of the English Premier League.
Then there is Donovan, who had 9 goals and 14 assists (second in MLS behind Sporting Kansas City's Graham Zusi) in the league a year ago but said he was exhausted and needed to step away from the game for a while. He said he will return later this month.
Helping make up for the latter's absence is Ireland international Robbie Keane, who scored 23 goals in all competitions in 2012 and led all MLS players with six postseason goals. He has also been named the club's new captain, taking over the reins from Donovan, who served as the captain each of the previous four seasons.
Keane, who recently signed a multi-year contract extension with the Galaxy, said he has liked what he has seen in preseason, during which the club went 5-1-1.
"The games have been good. We look fit and sharp," he said.
Keane acknowledged the Galaxy will have a target on their backs this season, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
"It's always the same, you always want to beat the champions," he said. "We've been (champions) two years in a row now. I'm sure every team we play against will raise their game and want to obviously beat us.
"It will be the same as last year; people want to beat you because you won the championship before. Hopefully we can repeat it."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 1, 2013
- LA Galaxy ready to open the 2013 season on Sunday at The Home Depot Center - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Introduces a Renewed Rebaño Angelino - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Galaxy Players to Receive Their Championship Rings on Sunday - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Dynamo Open 2013 Season on Saturday vs. D.C. United at BBVA Compass Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Philadelphia Union Sign Anding, Fernandes and Konopka - Philadelphia Union
- Earthquakes Team with T-Mobile for Second Straight Season to Create "T-Mobile 4G Power Zone" - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Opens Season on Saturday at Philadelphia - Sporting Kansas City
- Cordell Cato Traded to San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Two Rookies, Acquire Cordell Cato from Seattle Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Revs Team up with Supporters Groups for Season Opener Watch Parties - New England Revolution
- As Rest of MLS Opens, Revs Continue Preseason Prep - New England Revolution
- Dynamo Sign Defenders Mike Chabala, Anthony Arena - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview: RSL at San Jose Earthquakes - Sunday, March 3 - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Midfielder Peter Luccin Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - FC Dallas
- D.C. United, Beach FC and Adidas Reach Regional Affiliate Agreement - D.C. United
- Impact Set to Kick off the 2013 Regular Season this Saturday at 10:30pm in Seattle - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Sign Cameroonian Midfielder Yazid Atouba - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Signs Darel Russell - Toronto FC
- Toronto FC Signs Morgan, Bennett, and Osorio - Toronto FC
- Revolution Signs Gabe Latigue - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Signs Welsh International Earnshaw - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Acquire Forward Chandler Hoffman - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Forward Brian Ching - Houston Dynamo
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Suspends and Fines D.C. United's Dwayne De Rosario - MLS
- LA Galaxy to Unveil New Multiuse Sport Court at Boys and Girls Club - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Know Style Change Is Needed as They Prepare for Life without David Beckham - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Jonathan dos Santos Named to Mexican National Team Roster for Upcoming U.S. Tour Matches in Santa Clara and Arlington
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez
- Know Before You Go: LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers - Sunday, March 4
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg
- LA Galaxy Announce 2018 Theme Nights and Promotional Schedule