LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over ColoradoFebruary 23, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Los Angeles Galaxy
Colorado took the lead after just 12 minutes when Kevin Harbottle won the ball just inside LA's half on the right flank and threaded a ball through the center of the Galaxy defense for Drew Moor, who hit a first time shot past Carlo Cudicini, giving the Rapids a 1-0 lead. That was just the second time this preseason that the Galaxy had fallen behind and the second time that Carlo Cudicini had conceded a goal.
The Rapids nearly doubled their lead in the 22nd minute, only for DeShorn Brown to shoot just wide from a tight angle after taking the ball off the foot of Sean Franklin. That miss would prove costly as LA would equalize 14 minutes later with Marcelo Sarvas tapping home the rebound of a Robbie Keane shot. Keane and Mike Magee had won the ball off Diego Calderon at the top of the box, allowing Magee to play in Keane. The Irishman's left-footed shot was saved by Steward Ceus, only for the rebound to fall to Sarvas who tapped home his shot, evening the score at 1-1.
With both teams looking to prove their fitness ahead of next weekend's start to the regular season, neither team made any changes at the intermission and each had a chance to break the deadlock inside the opening 15 minutes of the second half. First Cudicini was called upon to save from Atiba Hrris in the 53rd minute, and then Robbie Keane appeared to be knocked over inside the penalty area five minutes later, only for the referee Alex Chapman to book the Galaxy captain for diving,
The score would remain tied at 1-1 until the 80th minute when Jack McBean, who had come on nine minutes earlier for Michael Stephens, poked home a loose ball from the center of the penalty area. A Sean Franklin rattled around the Colorado box with the Rapids' defense proving unableee to clear the ball from danger, allowing the 18-year-old to prod a shot into the net for what would prove to be the game winning goal.
Colorado would have one last chance to pull out a tie, but Cudicini was able to tip a Marcos Pirchio freekick around his post with a diving save, allowing LA to maintain their 2-1 lead and hold on for the victory.
Seven players went the full 90 minutes for the Galaxy, including Robbie Keane who wore the captain's armband, and Juninho. Those two were joined by goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini and the entire back four of A.J. DeLaGarza, Todd Dunivant, Sean Franklin and Leonardo.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 23, 2013
- Revs claim third place in Desert Diamond Cup with goals from Nguyen, Bengtson - New England Revolution
- Timbers Close Preseason with a 1-1 Draw against Aik - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC win 2013 FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup - Seattle Sounders FC
- Impact Beats Columbus 1-0 to Win the Disney Pro Classic - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Drops Desert Diamond Cup Final 0-1 to Seattle - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire claim Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Battery earn 2-1 win - Houston Dynamo
- Mattocks scores fifth goal of preseason after Miller draws penalty kick - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Draw 1-1 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Preseason - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Routs the L.A. Blues, 5-1, in Preseason Finale - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- San Jose Earthquakes Close Preseason with 2-1 Win against FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes
- Venue Change for Sunday's Inaugural Kirk Urso Memorial Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Union Fall to United in Final Preseason Matchup - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Signs Djimi Traore - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy close out preseason with 2-1 win over Colorado - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Galaxy ready for MLS after successful preseason - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC play to scoreless draw - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.