Chivas USA Ties Chicago, 1-1, in Its Third Preseason MatchFebruary 5, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- The Rojiblancos will host their next scrimmage on Saturday, Feb. 9 against Korean League side Gangwon FC at The HDC's Field 6 beginning at 11:30 a.m.
- Chivas USA nearly went ahead in the ninth minute of play when Agudelo attempted a chip shot over Chicago goalkeeper Paolo Tornaghi at the end of a break away, but Tornaghi was able to get a hand on the ball to knock it over the crossbar.
- In the 39th minute, Bolaños broke the scoreless tie with his third goal of the preseason when he and Agudelo connected on a breakaway. Agudelo sent a pass from just outside the 18-yard line to Bolaños inside the left side of the box. The Ecuadorian gathered the pass and beat Tornaghi to his left inside the right post.
- Goats' goalkeeper Tim Melia, who got the first-half start, was solid in goal, preserving the shutout in the first 45 by punching out two Chicago corner kicks. Melia denied the Fire's offense in the eighth minute on a strike from about 15 yards out on the right side of the box.
- Chicago found the equalizer in the 52nd minute when forward Chris Rolfe slotted a pass to the cutting Atouba inside the box and beating substitute goalkeeper Patrick McLain to his left for the score.
- Forward Tristan Bowen got the start in the second half for the Rojiblancos, replacing Agudelo and took a shot that sailed wide left of the post in the 69th minute outside the penalty arc. Two minutes later Bowen served a dangerous pass near the short area to Julio Morales, but Tornaghi was able to break up the pass.
- Bowen again nearly connected with a cutting Morales in the 74th, as he sent in a low cross near the short area from the left side of the box, but the ball went through untouched as Morales attempted a sliding tap in for the potential game-winner. Deep into the match the sides battled for ball possession and in search of a second goal that did not come, and the match ended 1-1.
- The clubs agreed to play three periods, the first a standard 45-minute half, followed by two 30-minute periods with a 15 and 10-minute break in between, respectively. Chivas USA Head Coach Jose Luis Sanchez Sola "El Chelis," started the second half with two substitutions to the starting 11. In minute 58, Sanchez Sola brought on nine subs and ended the match making three additional changes in the lineup.
Chivas USA will kick off its ninth season when it hosts the Columbus Crew at The Home Depot Center for First Kick 2013 on Saturday, March 2, beginning at 7:30 p.m. PT. Ticket packs and individual tickets are now available. For more information please call 1-877-CHIVAS-1 or visit cdchivasusa.com . Follow us on Twitter @cdchivasusa and Facebook.com/chivasusa .
Major League Soccer Stories from February 5, 2013
- LA Galaxy defeat USL Pro's L.A. Blues 3-0 in preseason game - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Ties Chicago, 1-1, in Its Third Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Extends Broadcast Partnership with Sports Radio 810 WHB - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Draw Chivas USA 1-1 in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Brent Richards Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Opportunity Knocks for Second-Year Forward Imbongo - New England Revolution
- Preseason Training Game: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Defeat Sounders FC 1-0 in Preseason Play - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Development Academy Teams to be Fully Funded by Club - Colorado Rapids
- Three Impact Players with Canada U20 - Montreal Impact
- Preseason Knock No Big Deal for Soares - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Create Academy Alliance - Los Angeles Galaxy
- D.C. United Finalizes All Times for 34-Game Regular-Season - D.C. United
- MLS, TSN and RDS Announce 2013 Regular Season National Broadcast Schedule for Canada - MLS
- Montreal Impact Unveils Its 2013 Broadcast Schedule - Montreal Impact
- Red Bulls Sign Defender Dax McCarty to New Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Rapids Single Game Tickets on Sale this Week - Colorado Rapids
- The Impact Soccer Schools at Olympic Stadium - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.