Roussel Becomes 493rd ECHL Player to Reach NHLFebruary 2, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL)
The 23-year-old scored the game's first goal and had two shots on goal in 7:18 of ice time for the Stars whose line-up also included former ECHL players Jordie Benn, Vern Fiddler, Ryan Garbutt and Michael Ryder . Former Las Vegas Wranglers head coach, and 2006 ECHL Coach of the Year Glen Gulutzan is head coach of the Stars. Former ECHL goaltender Mike Valley is the Stars' goaltending coach.
The Idaho Steelheads are the ECHL affiliate of the Stars and the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League.
Roussel had one assist in five regular-season games with the Royals in 2010-11 and added three assists in eight Kelly Cup Playoff games with the club. He has tallied 36 points (13g-23a) in 144 career American Hockey League games with Providence, Chicago and Texas.
Three ECHL players have made their NHL debuts this season: former Gwinnett forward Matt Anderson (New Jersey on Jan. 29), former Cincinnati forward Cory Conacher (Tampa Bay on Jan. 19) and former Reading Royals left wing Antoine Roussel (Dallas on Feb. 1).
The ECHL had a record 87 players on NHL opening-day rosters, surpassing the 81 from a year ago and marking the 10th year in a row that there have been over 50 former ECHL players on opening-day rosters. The ECHL has affiliations with 25 of the 30 NHL teams, marking the 16th consecutive season that the league has had affiliations with at least 20 teams in the NHL.
There have been 493 players who have played in the NHL after playing in the ECHL including 23 in 2011-12. The ECHL has had 301 players reach the NHL since 2002-03 when it changed its focus to become the primary developmental league for the NHL and the AHL. The ECHL had 97 players reach the NHL in its first 10 seasons and 215 in the first 15 years. There have been 237 ECHL players who have played their first game in the last eight seasons for an average of more than 29 per year.
There are 30 coaches with an ECHL background working behind the benches of teams in the NHL including Anaheim Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau, Pittsburgh Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma, New York Islanders head coach Jack Capuano, Dallas Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan, Philadelphia Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette and Winnipeg Jets head coach Claude Noel . It is the eighth consecutive season that there have been 11 or more coaches with an ECHL background working in the NHL. Boudreau, who coached Mississippi for three seasons winning the Kelly Cup championship in 1999, was named NHL Coach of the Year in 2007-08 becoming the first former ECHL coach to receive the award. Bylsma, who played in the ECHL with Greensboro from 1992-94, was named NHL Coach of the Year in 2010-11.
There are 26 former ECHL officials scheduled to work as part of the NHL officiating team in 2012-13 with referees Darcy Burchell, Francis Charron, Ghislain Hebert, Jean Hebert, Marc Joannette, Trent Knorr, Mike Leggo, Dave Lewis, T.J. Luxmore, Wes McCauley, Jon McIsaac, Dean Morton, Dan O'Rourke, Brian Pochmara, Kevin Pollock, Kyle Rehman, Chris Rooney, Graham Skilliter, Justin St. Pierre and Ian Walsh, and linesmen Steve Barton, Matt MacPherson, Brian Mach, Tim Nowak, Bryan Pancich and Jay Sharrers.
The ECHL was represented for the 12th year in a row on the Stanley Cup champion in 2012 with Los Angeles Kings assistant coach Jamie Kompon, players Dwight King, Jordan Nolan and Jonathan Quick, manager of communications/broadcasting Jeremy Zager and scouts Steve Greeley, Mark Mullen and Mark Yannetti. Quick was named recipient of the Conn Smythe Trophy as Most Valuable Player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, marking the second consecutive year a former ECHL player won the award. There were 43 former players and 13 coaches on the 16 teams competing in the National Hockey League's Stanley Cup Playoffs, marking the seventh year in a row that there have been at least 30 former ECHL players and the ninth consecutive season that over 25 players with ECHL experience have competed in the NHL postseason.
The first ECHL player to play in the NHL was Johnstown Chiefs goaltender and current Toronto Maple Leafs assistant coach Scott Gordon, who played his first game with the Quebec Nordiques against Buffalo on Jan. 30, 1990. The 100th player honor is shared by Jean Sebastien Aubin and Manny Legace, who both made their debut on Oct. 21, 1998 with the Pittsburgh Penguins and the Los Angeles Kings, respectively. The 200th player was Brett McLean with the Chicago Blackhawks on Dec. 10, 2002 while the 300th was David Liffiton with the New York Rangers on Apr. 11, 2006 and the 400th was Phil Oreskovic on Mar. 9, 2009 with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Former ECHL broadcasters working in the National Hockey League include John Ahlers and Steve Carroll of the Anaheim Ducks, Tom Callahan of the Nashville Predators, Dave Goucher of the Boston Bruins, Chris Kerber of the St. Louis Blues, Jack Michaels of the Edmonton Oilers, Dave Mishkin of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Bob McElligott of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Ryan Stanzel and Jeremy Zager, who were both recipients of the ECHL Media Relations Director of the Year award, are working in the communications department for the Minnesota Wild and the Los Angeles Kings, respectively. Former ECHL assistant director of communications Joe Siville works in the communications department for the Philadelphia Flyers.
ECHL Stories from February 2, 2013
- Severyn Picks up Four Points to Lead Solar Bears to 6-4 Thriller over Titans - Orlando Solar Bears
- Jackals Freeze the IceMen - Elmira Jackals
- 'Blades Close Homestand with Loss to Greenville - Florida Everblades
- Glads, Domingue Shut Out South Carolina 3-0 - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Cyclones Fall in Fort Wayne, 7-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Road Warriors Trample Everblades - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Fall to Gladiators 3-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Nailers Game in Kalamazoo Postponed - Wheeling Nailers
- K-Wings and Nailers Postponed - Kalamazoo Wings
- Titans GameDay at Orlando, February 2 - Game 46 (Away 23) - Trenton Titans
- Condors vs. Colorado - Cowboy Hat Giveaway Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - February 2 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Idaho Steelheads - Stockton Thunder
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Fort Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Titans Win Third Straight OT in Dramatic Fashion - Trenton Titans
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown to Face-Off: K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Trenton Titans - February 2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays and Gladiators Collide Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Roussel Becomes 493rd ECHL Player to Reach NHL - ECHL
- ECHL Today - February 2 - ECHL
- Greenham Can Save Condors in 3-1 Loss to Eagles - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Fold Aces in 5-4 Shootout Win - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Skin Grizzlies with 6-5 Shootout Win - Ontario Reign
- Thunder outshoots Idaho 45-28, Toews scores winner in final minute - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Get Point in Last-Minute 5-4 Shootout Loss in Vegas - Alaska Aces
- Toews Tally Lifts Idaho to Key Win - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Rally from Down 3; Take 6-5 Shootout Loss - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.