Brahmas Best Americans in ShootoutJanuary 29, 2013 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Fort Worth Brahmas
Allen opened the game with a strong first period, outscoring the Brahmas 2-1 after 20 minutes of play. Kale Kerbashian scored the Americans' first goal on a 5-on-3 power play at the 7:12 mark. Ross Rouleau answered just four minutes later with a slapshot from the point that whistled by Allen netminder Aaron Dell to even the score at one goal apiece. Brian McMillin gave the Americans a 2-1 edge when he finished a rebound after Brahmas netminder Brad Fogal already made two stops in front of his own net.
After a scoreless middle frame, Shawn Szydlowski evened the score at 2-2 as he put a wrister past Dell on a break-away feed from Daniel Spivak at the 6:45 mark. Chad Woollard gave Fort Worth its first lead of the night at 13:15 when he fired a slapshot from the high slot into the back of the net. Woollard's score came on a 4-on-3 man advantage and was the only power-play goal for the Brahmas Tuesday night.
With just 4:33 remaining in regulation and the Americans on a power play, Anthony Maiani found Tyler Ludwig open in the slot for the equalizer. Allen went 3-for-7 on the man advantage.
The game remained scoreless through the end of regulation and overtime. After Fogal denied the first five attempts for Allen and Dell denied the first four for Fort Worth, Nutkevitch streaked down the left side, came across the crease and snuck the puck behind the Americans' goalie on the right side of the net for the game-winning score. For the rookie out of SUNY-Potsdam, the goal was his third game-winner of the season, two of which coming in a shootout.
Fogal improved to 10-7-1, making 31 saves on 34 shots and stopping all five attempts in the shootout in net for the Brahmas. Kristofer Westblom replaced Fogal for 3:38 in the third period, stopping both of the shots he faced, but the Sharon, Ontario native returned to finish the contest.
Dell stopped 32 of 35 and four of five attempts in the shootout in a losing effort between the pipes for Allen.
The victory was the Brahmas' third in a row versus the Americans. Fort Worth has won 10 of its last 12 games and now stands only four points behind Allen for first place in the Central Hockey League.
Fort Worth hosts two games this weekend at the NYTEX Sports Centre: Friday, February 1 versus the Rapid City Rush and Saturday, February 2 versus the Arizona Sundogs. Both games are set for 7:30pm.
For ticket information, please contact a Brahmas sales representative at 817-336-4423 or visit www.brahmas.com.
Central Hockey League Stories from January 29, 2013
- Cutthroats Close out Road Trip with 4-3 Shootout Loss - Denver Cutthroats
- Brahmas Best Americans in Shootout - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Oilers Outlast Cutthroats in 4-3 Shootout Victory - Tulsa Oilers
- Comeback Victory over Rapid City Pushes Win-Streak to Five - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Rout Bloomington 8-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Bury Rush 5-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Rout Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
- Corbeil and Miller Recalled to Chicago; Ortmeyer and Testwuide Suspended by Mavericks - Missouri Mavericks
- Quad City's John Murray Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Murray Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Quad City Mallards
- Lang Returns to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.