Houston Dynamo, Newtown Kindness Announce PartnershipJanuary 29, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Houston Dynamo
The Charlotte Bacon Act of Kindness Award is named in honor of Charlotte Bacon, a six-year-old girl who was killed in the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School last December. The award is designed to encourage children from around the world to think about and perform simple acts of kindness in their respective communities. As partners of the Charlotte Bacon Act of Kindness Award, the Houston Dynamo and Dynamo Charities, presented by the Halliburton Charitable Foundation, are committed to using their resources to help communicate that message to the team's fan base and to Houston-area residents.
"This is a great initiative," said Dynamo forward Brian Ching. "It involves performing a simple act of kindness, which is something that anyone can do. I encourage all children to participate and honor Charlotte's legacy."
"I was fortunate to have the opportunity to visit Newtown in early January as part of Soccer Night in Newtown event," said Dynamo defender Corey Ashe. "While in Connecticut, my teammates and I had breakfast with the Bacon family. Charlotte sounded like an amazing girl and I'm honored to be a spokesperson for an award that honors her memory."
Children are encouraged to tell their act of kindness story in writing or by drawing a picture for a chance to be recognized with a Charlotte Bacon Act of Kindness Award. One award winner will be chosen to receive a Houston Dynamo prize pack which includes roundtrip airfare for four people to Houston, two nights in a hotel, four tickets to a 2013 Dynamo home game and $100 in concession stand vouchers.
The award is open to all children 18 years of age and younger. Entries must be received by Feb. 21, 2013 and must include a minimum donation of $5. Donations are also being accepted without an entry into the contest, with all funds going to the Charlotte Bacon Kindness Fund, a soon-to-be 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that supports the Sandy Hook victims' families and memorials. Complete contest rules, including information on where to send entries, can be found at newtownkindness.org .
Major League Soccer Stories from January 29, 2013
- Whitecaps FC Start Preseason with 4-1 Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy midfielder Hector Jimenez ready to contribute in his third season - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Knock off Houston Dynamo 2-0 in Preseason Opener - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Blanked in Scrimmage - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo, Newtown Kindness Announce Partnership - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Defeat Rapids 3-1 in Preseason Opener - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Open Preseason with 3-1 Loss to Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA vs. FC Santa Clarita Storm Tomorrow in a Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Andy Najar Named to Honduras' World Cup Qualifying Roster - D.C. United
- Individual Tickets and Mini-Season Packages Go on Sale to General Public on February 9 - Montreal Impact
- Bengtson Called into Honduras Squad for WCQ - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer to be Featured on the New Reality Competition Series "The Job" - MLS
- Kickoff Time for Dynamo Match vs. Sporting Kansas City Rescheduled - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.