Whitecaps FC Start Preseason with 4-1 Win
CASA GRANDE, AZ - Vancouver Whitecaps FC kicked off their 2013 preseason schedule with a bang, defeating Eastern Conference side New England Revolution 4-1 on Tuesday night at Grande Sports World in Casa Grande, Arizona.
Darren Mattocks netted an early hat-trick and Kenny Miller slotted home a second half penalty kick in an impressive first preseason performance for the Blue and White.
"I think it was a very good start to the game for us," Whitecaps FC head coach Martin Rennie told whitecapsfc.com. "We got three good goals at the start of the match, and we looked dangerous going forward. There's definitely a lot to work on, and things that were a bit frustrating, but for the start of the preseason, it was very good overall."
Rennie implemented a 4-4-2 formation and made many substitutions throughout the match, giving a number of returning, new, and trialists a chance to regain their match fitness and sharpness.
Just over a minute in, 2013 MLS SuperDraft fourth overall pick Kekuta Manneh found last year's leading MLS rookie scorer in 2012, Darren Mattocks, for the first goal of the preseason.
Four minutes later, Camilo, who was playing just behind Mattocks, played a great through ball to the Jamaican international. Mattocks' nice finish doubled the "Caps advantage.
On 11 minutes, New England striker Matt Horth was tripped up in the box and the 'Revs were awarded a penalty kick. Midfielder Chris Tierney stepped up and put it home, leaving the 'Caps with a 2-1 lead.
The two-goal cushion was quickly restored by the "Caps speedy striker on 15 minutes. Mattocks' sealed his hat-trick on a beautiful header after a free kick delivery from Alain Rochat, putting Whitecaps FC up 3-1.
After a fast-paced opening first 15 minutes, which included four goals, scoring slowed down and Vancouver went into halftime with a 3-1 lead.
The lone goal after the break took place just past the midway point of the second half, when Vancouver striker Corey Hertzog was taken down inside the box and a penalty kick was awarded. Miller promptly buried the spot kick to the left of Revs goalkeeper Luis Soffner.
It was an appropriate end to a great Whitecaps FC effort and fittingly, the "Caps walked away with a 4-1 win.
Whitecaps FC will look to carry the momentum onto this Saturday's preseason match against Houston Dynamo at Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona. Kickoff is at 3 p.m. PT and the match will be streamed live on whitecapsfc.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 29, 2013
- Whitecaps FC Start Preseason with 4-1 Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LA Galaxy midfielder Hector Jimenez ready to contribute in his third season - Los Angeles Galaxy
- San Jose Earthquakes Knock off Houston Dynamo 2-0 in Preseason Opener - San Jose Earthquakes
- Dynamo Blanked in Scrimmage - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo, Newtown Kindness Announce Partnership - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Defeat Rapids 3-1 in Preseason Opener - Portland Timbers
- Rapids Open Preseason with 3-1 Loss to Timbers - Colorado Rapids
- Chivas USA vs. FC Santa Clarita Storm Tomorrow in a Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Andy Najar Named to Honduras' World Cup Qualifying Roster - D.C. United
- Individual Tickets and Mini-Season Packages Go on Sale to General Public on February 9 - Montreal Impact
- Bengtson Called into Honduras Squad for WCQ - New England Revolution
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer to be Featured on the New Reality Competition Series "The Job" - MLS
- Kickoff Time for Dynamo Match vs. Sporting Kansas City Rescheduled - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.