'Dogs Re-Sign Former 1st Rounder EspinosaJanuary 28, 2013 - American Association (AA) Lincoln Saltdogs
Espinosa, who was selected 23rd overall in the 2000 MLB draft by the Cincinnati Reds, hit .313 with seven home runs, 17 doubles and 12 stolen bases over 68 games for Lincoln in 2012.
"I am very appreciate of the Lincoln Saltdogs for asking me to come back," Espinosa said. "They are a first class organization all the way."
The 31-year old from Miami, Fla. led the Grand Prairie AirHogs to an American Associtaion championship in 2011, hitting .324 with 21 doubles and 20 stolen bases.
A solid veteran leader in the clubhouse, Espinosa is also extremely versatile on the diamond, having played all four infield positions for the Saltdogs last summer.
"I cannot wait to put on that uniform again and play for the tremendous fans of Lincoln," Espinosa said. "I have a great feeling about the upcoming campaign."
Espinosa played three seasons at the Triple-A level for the Toledo Mudhens in the Detroit Tigers organization from 2005-07. He has spent parts of the previous two seasons playing for various clubs in the Atlantic League as well.
In 1,309 career games over 12 seasons, Espinosa has hit .273 with 239 doubles and 206 stolen bases.
American Association Stories from January 28, 2013
- Khoury Back at Shortstop for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- 'Dogs Re-Sign Former 1st Rounder Espinosa - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones re-sign former Cardinals prospect, Garceau - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Announce Exhibition Schedule - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Explorers Think Spring With First Signing Of 2013 - Sioux City Explorers
- Former University of Minnesota Pitcher, Dustin Klabunde, Re-Signs With Saints - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.