Revs Select Four at 2013 MLS SuperDraftJanuary 17, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New England Revolution
In the second round, the team added:
F/M Donnie Smith (UNC-Charlotte) - 21st overall
F Luke Spencer (Xavier) - 23rd overall
GK Luis Soffner (Indiana) - 36th overall
New England acquired the first overall pick in a trade with Toronto FC on Wednesday night, making Farrell the team's highest-ever draft pick in the 18-year history of the event. The Revolution's previous highest pick - second overall in 2002 - was used to take the club's all-time leading scorer, Taylor Twellman.
While Farrell signed a Generation adidas contract with the league prior to the SuperDraft and has been automatically added to New England's roster, the latter three picks will come into preseason unsigned.
"Overall, we're pleased with our draft and we believe we addressed a few areas we were looking to improve," General Manager Michael Burns said. "With Andrew, we added who we believe was the best available player in this draft class. With Donnie, Luke and Luis, we've drafted players who we believe can add depth and versatility to our club. Donnie and Luke give us options on the wings as well as up top, while Luis gives us talented depth in goal. We look forward to getting them into camp next week and beginning to work with them."
Farrell, 20, was an NSCAA first-team All-America honoree this year following a stellar three-year career at Louisville. He started all 44 games which he played the last two seasons and earned Big East Defensive Player of the Year honors in 2012. The 5-11, 185-pound defender transitioned from the midfield as a junior, and scored six goals and added six assists in his three-year career. He is projected as a central defender or a right back at the professional level.
Smith, 22, was a 2012 NSCAA Scholar All-America and first-team Scholar All-South Region selection after scoring four goals and adding four assists in 19 appearances (16 starts) with UNC-Charlotte. In 2011, he earned second-team All-Atlantic 10 Conference and second-team NSCAA Scholar All-South Region honors, scoring five goals and registering three assists in 25 appearances (10 starts). He was also named to the 2011 NCAA College Cup All-Tournament team after helping the 49ers advance to the College Cup. At the conclusion of his sophomore season, Smith was named to the 2010 first-team All-Atlantic 10.
Spencer, 22, led the Atlantic 10 in goals (14), goals per game (.64) and points per game (1.64) in the 2012 season at Xavier. He also recorded eight assists in 22 appearances (20 starts) and earned first-team NSCAA All-Mid-Atlantic Region and first-team All-Atlantic 10 Conference honors this year. In 2011, Spencer was named to the NSCAA All-Mid-Atlantic Region second team and second-team All-Atlantic 10 after scoring seven goals and adding six assists in 21 appearances (19 starts). As a freshman, he was named to the Atlantic 10 all-rookie team.
Soffner, 23, was a four-year starter at Indiana and backed the Hoosiers to the 2012 NCAA Championship while earning NCAA College Cup Most Outstanding Defensive Player honors. He started 83 of 84 career matches, and as a senior, posted an 0.72 goals against average with 12 shutouts. His 16 wins as a senior were the most at IU since 2004 (19). On his career, Soffner was 47-26-11 with an 0.93 GAA. His 32 career shutouts and 262 career saves both rank fourth, respectively, in IU history.
For up-to-the-minute information on the Revolution, visit the team's official web site at revolutionsoccer.net, or join the conversation and interact with fans on any of the team's social platforms: Twitter (@NERevolution, #NERevs), Facebook (NERevolution), Google+ (+NERevolution), Instagram (NERevolution), Pinterest (NERevolution), YouTube (NERevolutionSoccer) and Flickr (NERevolution).
Season tickets for the 2013 New England Revolution season are on sale and start at $333 for 18-game packages. Four- and six-game plans start at $90 for lower bowl tickets. Call 1-877-GET-REVS or visit revolutionsoccer.net for more information about these plans or any other ticket option.
TRANSACTION: New England Revolution (MLS) - Drafted D Andrew Farrell, F/M Donnie Smith, F Luke Spencer and GK Luis Soffner.
DOB: April 3, 1992 (Louisville, Ky.)
Hometown: Louisville, Ky.
Youth Club: United 1996 FC
How Acquired: Selected in the first round (first overall) in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft
DOB: December 7, 1990 (Detroit, Mich.)
Hometown: Matthews, N.C.
College: North Carolina
Youth Club: Charlotte Soccer Academy/Charlotte United
How Acquired: Selected in the second round (21st overall) in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft
DOB: November 28, 1990 (Cincinnati, Ohio)
Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio
Youth Club: Cincinnati United Premier
How Acquired: Selected in the second round (23rd overall) in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft
DOB: January 15, 1990 (Miami, Fla.)
Hometown: St. Louis, Mo.
Youth Club: St. Louis Scott Gallagher
How Acquired: Selected in the second round (36th overall) in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft
Major League Soccer Stories from January 17, 2013
- Second-Round Picks Focus on Attack, Goalkeeping - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces 2012 Club and Executive Award Winners - MLS
- Farrell Humbled to be Top Pick, Eager for Next Step - New England Revolution
- Union Select Don Anding and Stephen Okai in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Philadelphia Union
- Crew Selects Two Players at 2013 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis - Columbus Crew SC
- Sounders FC Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Selects MF Mikey Lopez in MLS SuperDraft - Sporting Kansas City
- Timbers Select Dylan Tucker-Gangnes in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Portland Timbers
- Impact Selects Four Players at 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Select Jason Johnson and Jimmy Nealis in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Select Emery Welshman After a Pair of Deals - Toronto FC
- LA Galaxy Make Three Selections in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Los Angeles Galaxy
- New England Revolution Select Andrew Farrell with First Overall Selection in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Selects Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Select Four at 2013 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Tickets for D.C. United's Home Opener to Go on Sale Saturday - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Picks up Two Players in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - FC Dallas
- Colorado Rapids Select Three in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Select Yazid Atouba Emane in Second Round of 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- San Jose Earthquakes Add Muller, Delgado in MLS SuperDraft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Select Striker/Wingers Manneh and Hurtado in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Select Midfielder Ian Christianson in 2013 MLS SuperDraft Second Round - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Selects Maryland Defender Taylor Kemp with 17th Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Chivas USA Selects Midfielder Carlos Alvarez with Second-Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Introduces Ivy Funds as Club's First-Ever Jersey Sponsor - Sporting Kansas City
- Toronto FC Select Kyle Bekker with Third Overall Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft - Toronto FC
- Revs Draft Andrew Farrell with #1 Pick in MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Updated Selection Order Now Available for 2013 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs Javier Morales - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Sign Chilean Winger Kevin Harbottle - Colorado Rapids
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire F Mike Fucito from Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Acquire Second-Round Pick in 2013 MLS SuperDraft from San Jose - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.