Denver Outlaws Trade Matthews, Select Nine in College DraftJanuary 11, 2013 - Major League Lacrosse (MLL) - Denver Outlaws Press Release
"We were able to improve and solidify the areas we identified going into the draft," Head Coach Jim Stagnitta said. "We added size athleticism and depth at every position on the field. Our goal is to win the Steinfeld Cup and we made progress today towards that goal."
The Outlaws opened their draft by choosing Brian Megill, a defenseman from Syracuse with the seventh pick in the first round. The 2012 second-team All-American and first-team All-Big East player picked up 62 ground balls and set the school's single-season record with 27 forced turnovers during his junior season.
Denver's next pick came at No. 19 overall, which the team used to select Davis Butts, a midfielder from Loyola. He finished third on the team with 21 goals, tied for third with 14 assists and ranked fourth with 35 total points last season. He was named a team co-captain and earned preseason All-America honors from Inside Lacrosse.
With their third selection, the Outlaws added defensive midfielder Landon Carr from Maryland.
Prior to the beginning of the fourth round, the Outlaws traded Matthews and received the Lizards' 29th overall choice. With that pick, Denver selected Eric Law, a midfielder from the University of Denver.
Two picks later, the team drafted defenseman Roger Ferguson from Brown.
Denver also selected twice in the fifth round, adding midfielder Aaron Prosser from Drexel and attackman Dante Fantoni from Lehigh.
In the seventh round (55th overall), the Outlaws drafted midfielder/attackman Sam Snow from Fairfield.
To round out the team's selections, Denver chose defenseman Dillon Ayer from St. Johns.
Overall, the Outlaws added three defensemen, five midfielders and one attackman in the draft.
Major League Lacrosse Stories from January 11, 2013
- Lizards Add 8 Players After MLL Collegiate Draft - New York Lizards
- Denver Outlaws Trade Matthews, Select Nine in College Draft - Denver Outlaws
- Ohio Machine Selects Colgate's Peter Baum as No.1 Overall in 2013 - MLL
- Charlotte Hounds Select Nine in MLL Collegiate Draft - Charlotte Hounds
- Boston Cannons Add Eight Players in 2013 Collegiate Draft - Boston Cannons
- Nationals Stock Their Roster with 11 Picks - Hamilton Nationals
- BayHawks Add Five in 2013 MLL Collegiate Draft - Chesapeake Bayhawks
- Major League Lacrosse Championship Weekend to Take Place at PPL Park - MLL
- Nationals Name Huntley Head Coach - Hamilton Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.