Charlotte Hounds Select Nine in MLL Collegiate Draft
The Charlotte Hounds on Friday night selected nine players in the 2013 Major League Lacrosse Collegiate Draft, beginning with the third overall pick of Johns Hopkins defenseman Tucker Durkin. In three seasons with the Blue Jays, Durkin collected 95 groundballs and caused 49 turnovers. Last season he earned USILA first team All-American honors as well as the William C. Schmeisser Award as the nation's top defenseman.
With their second pick in the first-round, the eight overall, the Hounds selected Loyola attackman Mike Sawyer, a North Carolina-native who attended Charlotte Catholic High School. In three seasons with the Greyhounds, Sawyer tallied 92 goals, including 52 during his team's run to the title in '12. He was named the '09 ECAC Rookie of the Year and USILA second-team All-American last year.
"Last year, after not having any picks in the first round, we were really excited to have two first round picks this year," said Hounds coach Mike Cerino. "Mike Sawyer is instinctive on offense and has a lot of versatility. ... Then to bring in one of the top 'D' men in the country, both these guys can make an immediate impact going into the summer."
In the third round, with the 24th overall pick, the Hounds selected Maryland attackman Owen Blye. In three seasons with the Terripans, Blye recorded 43 goals and 36 assists with a .558 shot-on-goal percentage.
The Hounds had back-to-back picks in the fourth round, selecting Bryant long-stick midfielder Mason Poli (27th overall) and Virginia attackman Matt White (28th overall). Poli, in three seasons with the Bulldogs, has recorded 30 goals, nine assists, 120 groundballs and 56 caused turnovers. White, in three seasons with the Cavaliers, has tallied 55 goals and 36 assists with a .625 shot-on-goal percentage.
With two picks in the sixth round, the Hounds selected Cornell midfielder Max Van Bourgondien (43rd overall) and Georgetown midfielder Brian Casey (48th overall). Van Bourgondien last season recorded 17 goals and 12 assists, while Casey put up 12 goals and eight assists.
The Hounds rounded out their draft by selecting Yale defenseman Michael McCormack (51st overall) and Bucknell goalie Kyle Feeney (59th overall).
"In the offseason we really tried to address our defensive midfield," said Cerino. "So tonight, we concentrated on volume for offensive players. With those attack/middie compacts we chose and the long stick middie from Bryant ... We want to bring in some support at attack and create a level of competition in the midfield."
"It was a great night," echoed Hounds GM Wade Leaphart. "We drafted some serious talent. Durkin is a gamechanger. Poli is a steal. And seeing Sawyer back in the Queen City is going to be fun."
Friday's Collegiate Draft, the 13th in MLL history, headlined the 2013 US Lacrosse National Convention at the Marriott Liberty Ballroom in Philadelphia. The Ohio Machine opened the draft by selecting Colgate attackman Peter Baum with the first overall pick. All drafted players will be added to a team's Collegiate Inactive Roster, and can be activated once their NCAA seasons are complete.
See the full results from the '13 MLL Collegiate Draft.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from January 11, 2013
- Lizards Add 8 Players After MLL Collegiate Draft - New York Lizards
- Denver Outlaws Trade Matthews, Select Nine in College Draft - Denver Outlaws
- Ohio Machine Selects Colgate's Peter Baum as No.1 Overall in 2013 - MLL
- Charlotte Hounds Select Nine in MLL Collegiate Draft - Charlotte Hounds
- Boston Cannons Add Eight Players in 2013 Collegiate Draft - Boston Cannons
- Nationals Stock Their Roster with 11 Picks - Hamilton Nationals
- BayHawks Add Five in 2013 MLL Collegiate Draft - Chesapeake Bayhawks
- Major League Lacrosse Championship Weekend to Take Place at PPL Park - MLL
- Nationals Name Huntley Head Coach - Hamilton Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Hounds Stories
- Hounds vs. Cannons Game Preview
- 2018 MLL Collegiate Draft Free to Watch Tonight on Lax Sports Network
- Hounds Sign Sponsorship Deal with Legion Brewing for 2017
- Hounds Active in Offseason with Player Signings
- John Grant Jr. Powers Ohio to Semi-Final Win over Charlotte