Boston Cannons Add Eight Players in 2013 Collegiate Draft
BOSTON, MA - The Boston Cannons of Major League Lacrosse (MLL), the premier professional outdoor lacrosse league, selected eight players in the 2013 MLL Collegiate Draft, beginning with Canadian Cameron Flint, a midfielder at the University of Denver. Flint finished the 2012 season with 16 goals, 7 assists and 30 ground balls in all 14 games for the Pioneers and was named All-ECAC and an All-America Honorable Mention.
Three picks later at #9 (obtained in a 2012 trade with Ohio), the Cannons selected long stick midfielder Scott Ratliff out of Loyola, an All-Tournament Team selection when the Greyhounds won their first-ever NCAA championship in 2012. With the next pick in the second round, 14th overall, the Cannons landed UMass attackman Will Manny.
"As always with the collegiate draft, we were looking for players who are athletic on the field and can complement our offense," said Cannons head coach Steve Duffy. "We believe our first three picks will be able to come in and make an immediate impact this season."
In the fourth round the team added another midfielder, Lee Coppersmith of Johns Hopkins. The Cannons took the first defender, and first local product, when they selected Jake Smith of UMass, a Medfield, MA native with the 30th pick. The Cannons rounded out their 2013 draft class with David DiMaria, attack, Lehigh; Brendan Buckley, defense, Army; and Quinn Cully, midfield, Notre Dame, from Duxbury, MA.
"I'm very pleased with the players we were able to draft tonight," said Cannons General Manager Kevin Barney. "My coaching staff did a tremendous job of scouting and preparing for tonight, allowing us to draft players that will immediately make us a better team."
During the draft, MLL commissioner Dave Gross also announced that the 2013 Championship Weekend will be held at PPL Park in Philadelphia on August 24 & 25.
Boston Cannons 2013 Collegiate Draft Results
1. (6th Overall): Cameron Flint, midfield, Denver
2. (9th): Scott Ratliff, LSM, Loyola
3. (14nd): Will Manny, attack, UMass
4. (22th): Lee Coppersmith, midfield, Johns Hopkins
5. (30th): Jake Smith, defense, UMass
6. (46th): David DiMaria, attack, Lehigh
7. (54th): Brendan Buckley, defense, Army
8. (62th): Quinn Cully, midfield, Notre Dame
• Discuss this story on the Major League Lacrosse message board...
Major League Lacrosse Stories from January 11, 2013
- Lizards Add 8 Players After MLL Collegiate Draft - New York Lizards
- Denver Outlaws Trade Matthews, Select Nine in College Draft - Denver Outlaws
- Ohio Machine Selects Colgate's Peter Baum as No.1 Overall in 2013 - MLL
- Charlotte Hounds Select Nine in MLL Collegiate Draft - Charlotte Hounds
- Boston Cannons Add Eight Players in 2013 Collegiate Draft - Boston Cannons
- Nationals Stock Their Roster with 11 Picks - Hamilton Nationals
- BayHawks Add Five in 2013 MLL Collegiate Draft - Chesapeake Bayhawks
- Major League Lacrosse Championship Weekend to Take Place at PPL Park - MLL
- Nationals Name Huntley Head Coach - Hamilton Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.