FC Dallas Signs Peruvian National Team Goalkeeper Raíl FernÃ¡ndezJanuary 10, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) FC Dallas
"Ra"l FernÃ¡ndez is a very athletic goalkeeper who has gained a lot of experience playing internationally with Peru," said FC Dallas head coach Schellas Hyndman. "He has a strong command of the box and will compete for the starting position with FC Dallas. He is an extremely motivated individual. I expect he will embrace this opportunity."
FernÃ¡ndez, 27, got his start in the youth system of Universitario de Deportes of the Peruvian first division. He made his professional debut with the club in a 1-1 draw with Union Huaral on July 31, 2005. FernÃ¡ndez would go on to play in 143 matches for Universitario between his debut and 2010. Universitario is regarded as the top club in Peru.
FernÃ¡ndez was signed by OGC Nice of the French first division in December of 2010. The 6-1 goalkeeper appeared in two matches for the four-time French Ligue 1 champions since his debut on Aug. 31, 2011. FernÃ¡ndez backstopped Nice in a 2-1 victory over Toulouse in the third round of Coupe de la Ligue.
A native of Lima, Peru, FernÃ¡ndez has earned 21 international caps with the Peruvian National Team since March 26, 2008.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2013
- FC Dallas Launches Phase Three of Get in and Win Season Ticket Program - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas Signs Peruvian National Team Goalkeeper RaÃºl FernÃ¡ndez - FC Dallas
- Crew Announces Corporate Partnership Renewal with JD Equipment - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Finalize 2013 Preseason Plans - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Jovan Kirovski Named Technical Director - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Kansas City, Kansas to Host 2013 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Designated Player Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
- MLS Adds Two Players to 2013 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Dynamo Announce 2013 Season Ticket Packages - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Signs Barson to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.