Jovan Kirovski Named Technical DirectorJanuary 10, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Los Angeles Galaxy
"I am excited to begin this next chapter of my career and feel that with my history as both a player in MLS and abroad, as well as my time spent as a coach, I am perfectly suited for this role as the club's first Technical Director," Kirovski said. "I was born and raised in Southern California and I love being a part of this club and helping it continue to expand and grow as the premier club in Major League Soccer."
A native of Escondido, Calif., Kirovski arrived in MLS in 2004, signing with the Galaxy after a European career that began at the age of 16 at Manchester United and saw him play in England, Portugal and Germany, where he played for Borussia Dortmund when they won the 1997 UEFA Champions League Final. In two stints with the Galaxy, playing for the club from 2004 until September 2005 when he was traded to Colorado and then again from November 2008 until the end of his playing career in 2011, Kirovski appeared in 104 regular season games, scoring 18 goals while earning a spot on the 2004 MLS All-Star Team. After helping the Galaxy win their third MLS Cup in 2011, Kirovski retired and joined Bruce Arena's coaching staff with the Galaxy, helping lead the club to a second consecutive championship last season.
"We are very pleased to be able to move Jovan into this new position as our Technical Director," Arena said. "His experience as both a player and as a coach will be invaluable as he works to support both our first team and our Academy program."
In addition to his distinguished club career, Kirovski, who holds a U.S. Soccer Federation "A" coaching license, made 62 appearances with the U.S. National Team, scoring nine times for his country during an 11-year international career. He made his National Team debut in October 1994 and scored his first goal a month later. He helped the U.S. qualify for the World Cup in 1998, 2002 and 2006 while also appearing in the 1995 Copa America, the 1996 and 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cups as well as the 1999 and 2003 FIFA Confederations Cups.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 10, 2013
- FC Dallas Launches Phase Three of Get in and Win Season Ticket Program - FC Dallas
- FC Dallas Signs Peruvian National Team Goalkeeper RaÃºl FernÃ¡ndez - FC Dallas
- Crew Announces Corporate Partnership Renewal with JD Equipment - Columbus Crew SC
- Whitecaps FC Finalize 2013 Preseason Plans - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Jovan Kirovski Named Technical Director - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Kansas City, Kansas to Host 2013 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
- Timbers Acquire Designated Player Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
- MLS Adds Two Players to 2013 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Dynamo Announce 2013 Season Ticket Packages - Houston Dynamo
- Crew Signs Barson to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.