Archibald's Pair Leads Wolves Past HamiltonDecember 14, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) Chicago Wolves
Captain Darren Haydar added his second goal in as many games and defenseman Peter Andersson produced his first goal in North America to aid the Wolves (11-9-2-1). Matt Climie posted 34 saves to earn a win for the second game in a row.
"We did a lot of things well tonight and were able to hold off a late charge with a solid penalty kill," said Wolves head coach Scott Arniel. "It was a big win for us and you never can criticize a win."
The Wolves opened the scoring shortly two seconds after the game's first power play ended when Archibald scored at 19:44 of the first period. Archibald took possession of the puck below the goal line near the crease and banked a shot off Hamilton goaltender Cedrick Desjardins' skate into the net. Defensemen Chris Tanev and Brad Hunt earned assists on the play.
Archibald gave the Wolves a 2-0 lead with a power-play goal at 9:24 of the second period. Jordan Schroeder centered a pass to Andrew Gordon in the slot, but Gordon's deflection wound up just outside the crease. Archibald dove for the puck and flipped a backhand past Desjardins while crashing to the ice.
Left wing Bill Sweatt set up Haydar's goal at 1:25 of the third period when he zipped behind the net and tried to stuff a wraparound past Desjardins. Haydar lifted the rebound over Desjardins to give Chicago a 3-0 lead.
Hamilton's Joonas Nattinen broke up Climie's shutout bid 6:14 into the third period, but Andersson answered 45 seconds later with a shot from the point. The Bulldogs (9-11-1-1) added a Michael Bournival power-play goal at 13:31 and Nathan Beaulieu tapped home a rebound with one minute left to set the final margin.
Climie (4-7-0) went the route for the sixth game in a row. Desjardins (5-3-0) finished with 21 saves.
The Wolves travel to Lake Erie on Saturday for a 6:30 p.m. game before returning to Allstate Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 19, for an 11 a.m. School-Day contest against Abbotsford. For tickets, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2012
- Henderson Sparks Admirals to OT Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Sink Admirals in Overtime 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Teddy Bears and Punches Go Flying - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Fight Back to Force Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-1 Decision at Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Shut out for First Time this Season - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons' Rally Falls Short In Providence - Springfield Falcons
- Power Play Leads Senators Past Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Tie It Late, Win in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Jake Allen Shuts Out Griffins 3-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Providence Extends Streak to Four - Providence Bruins
- Whale lose 4-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Top Pens, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs trail Pirates in VIP Cup series, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Shut out Phantoms 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Have All the Answers at Connecticut - Albany Devils
- Checkers Squeeze by Houston Aeros 3-2 in a Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Additional Tickets Released for All IceCaps Home Games - St. John's IceCaps
- Wannstrom and Nigro Swap Places - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Assign Three to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Providence, Game #23 - Springfield Falcons
- Patrick Wellar Returned to Reading Royals - Hershey Bears
- Houston Aeros Sign Rob Mignardi - Houston Aeros
- Home Stand Starts with Loss After Third Period Letdown - Lake Erie Monsters
- Wolves Edge Bulldogs 4-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Archibald's Pair Leads Wolves Past Hamilton - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.