Archibald's Pair Leads Wolves Past HamiltonDecember 14, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Chicago Wolves
Captain Darren Haydar added his second goal in as many games and defenseman Peter Andersson produced his first goal in North America to aid the Wolves (11-9-2-1). Matt Climie posted 34 saves to earn a win for the second game in a row.
"We did a lot of things well tonight and were able to hold off a late charge with a solid penalty kill," said Wolves head coach Scott Arniel. "It was a big win for us and you never can criticize a win."
The Wolves opened the scoring shortly two seconds after the game's first power play ended when Archibald scored at 19:44 of the first period. Archibald took possession of the puck below the goal line near the crease and banked a shot off Hamilton goaltender Cedrick Desjardins' skate into the net. Defensemen Chris Tanev and Brad Hunt earned assists on the play.
Archibald gave the Wolves a 2-0 lead with a power-play goal at 9:24 of the second period. Jordan Schroeder centered a pass to Andrew Gordon in the slot, but Gordon's deflection wound up just outside the crease. Archibald dove for the puck and flipped a backhand past Desjardins while crashing to the ice.
Left wing Bill Sweatt set up Haydar's goal at 1:25 of the third period when he zipped behind the net and tried to stuff a wraparound past Desjardins. Haydar lifted the rebound over Desjardins to give Chicago a 3-0 lead.
Hamilton's Joonas Nattinen broke up Climie's shutout bid 6:14 into the third period, but Andersson answered 45 seconds later with a shot from the point. The Bulldogs (9-11-1-1) added a Michael Bournival power-play goal at 13:31 and Nathan Beaulieu tapped home a rebound with one minute left to set the final margin.
Climie (4-7-0) went the route for the sixth game in a row. Desjardins (5-3-0) finished with 21 saves.
The Wolves travel to Lake Erie on Saturday for a 6:30 p.m. game before returning to Allstate Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 19, for an 11 a.m. School-Day contest against Abbotsford. For tickets, call 1-800-THE-WOLVES or visit ChicagoWolves.com.
American Hockey League Stories from December 14, 2012
- Henderson Sparks Admirals to OT Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sound Tigers Sink Admirals in Overtime 4-3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Teddy Bears and Punches Go Flying - Adirondack Phantoms
- Admirals Fight Back to Force Overtime - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Fall Behind Early, Drop 5-1 Decision at Oklahoma City - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Shut out for First Time this Season - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Falcons' Rally Falls Short In Providence - Springfield Falcons
- Power Play Leads Senators Past Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Tie It Late, Win in Shootout - Charlotte Checkers
- Jake Allen Shuts Out Griffins 3-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Providence Extends Streak to Four - Providence Bruins
- Whale lose 4-3 - Connecticut Whale
- B-Sens Top Pens, 3-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monarchs trail Pirates in VIP Cup series, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Crunch Shut out Phantoms 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Have All the Answers at Connecticut - Albany Devils
- Checkers Squeeze by Houston Aeros 3-2 in a Shootout - Houston Aeros
- Additional Tickets Released for All IceCaps Home Games - St. John's IceCaps
- Wannstrom and Nigro Swap Places - Peoria Rivermen
- Heat Assign Three to Utah - Abbotsford Heat
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Providence, Game #23 - Springfield Falcons
- Patrick Wellar Returned to Reading Royals - Hershey Bears
- Houston Aeros Sign Rob Mignardi - Houston Aeros
- Home Stand Starts with Loss After Third Period Letdown - Lake Erie Monsters
- Wolves Edge Bulldogs 4-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Archibald's Pair Leads Wolves Past Hamilton - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.