Revs Could be Active in Re-Entry ProcessDecember 13, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - New England Revolution
Clubs are permitted to negotiate new deals with players selected in Stage Two and many teams will be eager to snap up experienced MLSers at a reasonable cost. The New England Revolution holds the fourth overall selection and the club's technical staff has identified multiple possible targets amongst the list of eligible players.
"Right now we're looking at a few guys as possibilities," General Manager Michael Burns said on Thursday afternoon. "Having a high pick, we're seriously looking at a couple guys. We obviously don't know who's going to be taken ahead of us and that will impact what we do, if we do anything at all."
The Revs have been one of the most active teams in the first two years of the Re-Entry Process, selecting four players in Stage Two and five overall. Ryan Cochrane and Fred were New England's Stage Two picks in 2010, while Danleigh Borman (Stage One), Nate Jaqua and Clyde Simms (both Stage Two) were selected last year.
Of the Revolution's five selections, only two "" Cochrane and Simms "" have ultimately signed with the club, highlighting an interesting caveat of the Re-Entry Process. But the success of Simms in 2012 serves as a valuable reminder that talent can be acquired through this mechanism provided the right set of circumstances.
"We've always looked at all the avenues that we have available to us to add and this is certainly an area that we don't take lightly," said Burns. "We think this is definitely a mechanism by which we can add a player or two that can help our team."
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Revs Could be Active in Re-Entry Process - New England Revolution
- Jack McBean, Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal Named to U.S. Under-20 National Team roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Full Game Schedule Announced for Disney Pro Soccer Classic Tournament - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake MF Luis Gil Called to U.S. U-20 National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Midfielder Shane O'Neill Called in for U.S. U-20 Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Young-Pyo Lee to Return for 2013 MLS Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2013 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Yann Songo'o - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Signs Trapp to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
- Defender Rafa MárquezReleased by New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.