Sporting KC Signs Defender Yann Songo'o
Sporting Kansas City announced on Thursday that the club has signed defender Yann Songo'o. The 21-year-old Cameroon youth international will be added to the team's roster pending the receipt of his P-1 Visa and ITC.
"We had him train with us last summer and we feel he is a talented, young player with a big upside," Sporting KC Manager Peter Vermes said. "We look forward to adding him and bolstering the depth of the team."
Songo'o represented Cameroon at the 2011 African Youth Championship in South Africa, helping his country reach the final and qualify for the 2011 FIFA U-20 World Cup. He was again selected for Cameroon's under-20 squad for the FIFA tournament and played in a 1-0 victory over Uruguay in the group stage finale to send his country through to the knockout round.
"I have lot of hope and aspiration that this will be a big experience and opportunity to show what I have as a footballer," Songo'o said. "I want to thank the club for the chance they are giving me and I want to show my gratitude to them on the playing field."
After developing as a youth with Deportivo de la Coruna and Real Zaragoza in Spain, Songo'o spent a short stint in France at FC Metz before returning to Zaragoza. Songo'o featured for Real Zaragoza B from 2010-2011, drawing interest from Real Madrid and FC Barcelona before moving up to Spain's Liga Adelante (Segunda Division) with CE Sabadell FC. He appeared in a Copa del Rey second round qualifier for the club.
Most recently, Songo'o joined Pobla de Mafumet CF in January 2012. He is the son of former Cameroon goalkeeping great Jacques Songo'o, a four-time member of Cameroon's World Cup teams, and the brother of Portland Timbers midfielder Franck Songo'o.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Revs Could be Active in Re-Entry Process - New England Revolution
- Jack McBean, Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal Named to U.S. Under-20 National Team roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Full Game Schedule Announced for Disney Pro Soccer Classic Tournament - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake MF Luis Gil Called to U.S. U-20 National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Midfielder Shane O'Neill Called in for U.S. U-20 Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Young-Pyo Lee to Return for 2013 MLS Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2013 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Yann Songo'o - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Signs Trapp to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
- Defender Rafa MárquezReleased by New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Preview: Sporting KC Hosts San Jose on Saturday
- Kansas City Included in United Bid to Host 2026 FIFA World Cup
- Sporting KC Wins 4-3 Thriller over Chicago Fire
- Preview: Sporting KC Hits the Road to Face Chicago on Saturday
- Sporting KC Falls 2-0 to NYCFC in 2018 Opener