Crew Signs Trapp to Homegrown ContractDecember 13, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Columbus Crew SC
Trapp becomes a professional following two successful seasons at the University of Akron, where the Crew Soccer Academy product started in all 45 games from 2011-12. Primarily a defensive midfielder, Trapp scored one goal and contributed eight assists during his freshman and sophomore seasons on his way to earning back-to-back All-MAC First Team honors in 2011 and 2012 and being named Third Team NSCAA All-American in 2012. The midfielder has also appeared in five of the U.S. U-20 National Team's nine matches this year.
"It's definitely exciting to get to play close to home," Trapp said. "It's a dream come true to be able to play in front of the hometown fans, along with my family and friends. I'm very excited and I look forward to the things to come."
A two-time Crew Soccer Academy Player of the Year (2009, 2010), Trapp earned the 2010 NSCAA National High School Player of the Year award prior to his time at Akron. During his time with the Crew Soccer Academy, Trapp captained the U-16 and U-18 squads while also helping Gahanna Lincoln High School to its first OHSAA Division I championship in 2009. More recently, the midfielder scored the game-winning goal in the 2012 U-19 NYSA National Championship match to help Crew Juniors secure their fourth championship in three years.
"We've had our eye on Wil for some time, and we're very excited to have him join the First Team," said Crew Technical Director Brian Bliss. "We always believed that he'd be signing for us at some point, and that day has arrived. Wil is a player that can get the job done, as he's made big contributions to our Youth System and Akron's program as well. He's in the mix for the United States Under-20 World Cup squad, and we look forward to continuing his development right here in Columbus."
Trapp will take part in the U.S. U-20 National Team training camp next week in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. before joining the Crew for preseason training in mid-January.
Major League Soccer Stories from December 13, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Revs Could be Active in Re-Entry Process - New England Revolution
- Jack McBean, Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal Named to U.S. Under-20 National Team roster - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Full Game Schedule Announced for Disney Pro Soccer Classic Tournament - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake MF Luis Gil Called to U.S. U-20 National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Midfielder Shane O'Neill Called in for U.S. U-20 Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Young-Pyo Lee to Return for 2013 MLS Season - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2013 Preseason Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Yann Songo'o - Sporting Kansas City
- Crew Signs Trapp to Homegrown Contract - Columbus Crew SC
- Defender Rafa MárquezReleased by New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.