Mavericks Sign Defenseman Colten Hayes, Waive VanderVeekenNovember 27, 2012 - Central Hockey League (CHL) - Missouri Mavericks Press Release
"We felt we needed to make a change and Colten will add another element of physicality and intensity to our blue line," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "He has a very good skill set and will make us a tougher team to play against."
Hayes, 22 (1/31/90), is currently in his sophomore season after playing his rookie season and a portion of this season in the ECHL. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound defenseman played in a total of 48 games in the ECHL last season, 39 with the Stockton Thunder and nine with the Reading Royals. He finished with 23 points (3-2023) and 90 penalty minutes. 21 of his 23 points came with Stockton where he finished third on the team in scoring among defensemen. This season, the Maple Ridge, British Columbia native has played in 10 games with the ECHL's Fort Wayne Komets and has 48 penalty minutes.
Hayes previously played three seasons of junior hockey split between the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) and the British Columbia Junior Hockey League (BCHL). In his final season in juniors (2010-11) with the AJHL's Okotoks Oilers (AJHL), Hays finished with 54 points (12-4254) and 200 penalty minutes in just 55 games.
Defenseman Jamie VanderVeeken was waived by the Mavericks on Monday evening. He had eight points (4-48) through 15 games with the Mavericks this season.
The Mavericks next game is this Friday, November 30 when they host the Quad City Mallards at Independence Events Center (IEC). The first 2,000 fans 15 and older will receive a Mavericks adult jersey. Tickets on are sale via Ticketmaster and parking is always free at the IEC. For more information on the Missouri Mavericks visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
Central Hockey League Stories from November 27, 2012
- Petovello Returns to Sundogs - Arizona Sundogs
- Mavericks' Corbeil Named CHL's Goaltender of the Week - Missouri Mavericks
- Missouri's Mathieu Corbeil Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- St. Charles Chill Announce Contest Winner and Unveil Logo - St. Charles Chill
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Join Mallards for Family Resources Teddy Bear Toss December 7 - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Colten Hayes, Waive VanderVeeken - Missouri Mavericks
- Schlemko Returns to Phoenix - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.