Royals Claw Back to Beat CougarsNovember 25, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Victoria Royals
The Royals first scoring chance came at the 4:04 mark when Ben Walker was awarded a penalty shot after he was hooked on a breakaway. Walker snapped a shot glove side, but was denied by the Prince George goaltender. The Cougars opened the scoring at 6:20 on Raymond Grewal's first WHL goal. On a Prince George powerplay, Daulton Siwak grabbed a loose puck from behind the Victoria net and chipped it out front to Grewal who snapped it past Polivka. Walker would level the score for the Royals at 10:39 of the frame. The Royals' forward corralled the puck near the right faceoff circle before he spun and fired it through the legs of Zarowny. Victoria then took the lead at 13:05 courtesy of Walker's second tally of the night. Logan Nelson flew down the right wing and spotted Alex Gogolev in the slot. The Russian forward fed a backdoor pass to Walker who tapped the puck in to finish off a crisp passing play. The Royals held a 2-1 advantage after 20 minutes of play.
The Cougars tied the game at 8:28 of the second period on a goal from Jarrett Fontaine. Chase Witala took a shot from the right point that was stopped by Polivka, but Fontaine was able to jam the rebound past the stick side of the Victoria goaltender. A physical second period came to a head when Royals' defenceman Jordan Fransoo squared off with the Cougars' Marc McNulty. The pair fought to a draw while the score also remained a 2-2 draw after two periods of play.
A back-and-forth third period saw each team generate quality scoring chances, but both Polivka and Zarowny stood tall in their respective nets. It wasn't until the 17:04 mark that a go-ahead goal would be found. Brett Cote gave the Royals the lead with his third of the season. As a crowd formed in front of the Prince George net, the Royals' defenceman ripped a slapshot into the back of the net stick side. Prince George pulled their goaltender for the extra attacker, but Cote's goal stood up as the game-winner. Royals 3 Cougars 2.
Victoria went 0/1 0.0% on the powerplay, while Prince George went 1/6 16.7%. The Cougars outshot the Royals 33-28.
The Royals' next home game is on Tuesday, November 27th as the team welcomes the Moose Jaw Warriors. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. The Royals Holiday Combo is on sale now! Single game tickets and mini-packs are now on sale. Guarantee yourself the best seats by visiting www.victoriaroyals.com, calling 250-220-7889, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before it's too late!
Western Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2012
- Rockets Roll Past Everett - Everett Silvertips
- Are You The Wheat Kings' Biggest Fan" - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Win 2-1 In A Shootout Over Moose Jaw - Red Deer Rebels
- Spokane Edges Tri-City in Physical Contest - Tri-City Americans
- Silvertips Top Ice to Extend Home Streak - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Defeat Tri-City 5-2 in Front of 8,310 - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Re-Assign Gelsinger - Kamloops Blazers
- Giants Giants Lose 2-1 to the Blazers in Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Blazers Earn 20th Win with 2-1 Victory over Giants - Kamloops Blazers
- Oil Kings Take 2-1 OT Win over Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Royals Claw Back to Beat Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Winterhawks Fly Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.