Silvertips Top Ice to Extend Home Streak
EVERETT - Tyler Sandhu scored two goals to boost the Everett Silvertips to a 4-3 victory over the Kootenay Ice in a wild game before over 5,200 fans Saturday night at Comcast Arena. The Silvertips' third straight home win was also their tenth of the season as they prepare to host the Kelowna Rockets on Sunday.
Sandhu's two scores gave him eight for the season, bringing him even with Josh Winquist and Kohl Bauml for the team lead. Winquist assisted on both Sandhu goals in his first game back from a one-month absence and Manraj Hayer also posted a pair of assists. Reid Petryk and Ty Mappin scored the other Everett goals and Daniel Cotton (7-5-0-0) was solid in net with 34 saves.
A busy first period saw three goals scored in under 50 seconds at one point before the Silvertips took a 3-2 lead into the locker room. The Ice started quickly when Tanner Muth opened the scoring on long shot through traffic just 13 seconds in. Everett tied the game at 5:30 when Manraj Hayer backhanded the puck into the slot to Tyler Sandhu, who made a nice move around goaltender Mackenzie Skapski to his first of the night. A powerplay goal off the rush put the Silvertips on top when Hayer found Josh Winquist, whose shot from the left circle was re-directed into the net by Sandhu to make it 2-1.
Kootenay tied the game at two on the next shift when a scramble in front of the Everett net resulted in Jon Martin's goal only 31 seconds after Sandhu scored. The 'Tips regained the lead 15 seconds later however as Ice goaltender Mackenzie Skapski was playing the puck when Reid Petryk poked it away from him and into the net.
Another strange bounce led to the fourth Silvertips goal at 7:07 of the third period. Landon Oslanski's dump-in appeared to be rimming around the net when it caromed off the boards and right out front to Ty Mappin, who easily tapped it in before Skapski could adjust. Kootenay generated some good scoring chances on the powerplay later in the period, but the 'Tips denied the Ice on two opportunities to carry a 4-2 lead into the third.
Kootenay closed the gap in the third when Jakub Prochazka scored low to Cotton's glove side during a partial breakaway at 6:44. The Ice outshot the Silvertips 10-5 in the third, but the 'Tips denied any late chances to secure the 4-3 victory. Mackenzie Skapski (7-9-0-0) stopped 24 shots as the Ice outshot Everett 37-28 overall. The Silvertips went 1 for 4 on the powerplay and killed off all three Kootenay opportunities.
The Silvertips will now finish off their Thanksgiving weekend with another home game Sunday afternoon as they take on the Kelowna Rockets for the first time this season. Opening faceoff is set for 5:05 pm at Comcast Arena, and families are invited to come early for a free public ice skating session from 3:30 to 4:30 pm at the Comcast Community Ice Rink.
Season tickets, mini-game packages and single-game tickets for the Silvertips' 10th Anniversary season at Comcast Arena are on sale now. For more information visit www.everettsilvertips.com or call 425-252-5100. To keep up with all the latest 'Tips news, "like" us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2012
- Rockets Roll Past Everett - Everett Silvertips
- Are You The Wheat Kings' Biggest Fan" - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Rebels Win 2-1 In A Shootout Over Moose Jaw - Red Deer Rebels
- Spokane Edges Tri-City in Physical Contest - Tri-City Americans
- Silvertips Top Ice to Extend Home Streak - Everett Silvertips
- Chiefs Defeat Tri-City 5-2 in Front of 8,310 - Spokane Chiefs
- Blazers Re-Assign Gelsinger - Kamloops Blazers
- Giants Giants Lose 2-1 to the Blazers in Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Blazers Earn 20th Win with 2-1 Victory over Giants - Kamloops Blazers
- Oil Kings Take 2-1 OT Win over Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Royals Claw Back to Beat Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Winterhawks Fly Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips Clinch Sixth U.S. Division Title and Top Record in the Western Conference
- Sellout Crowd Sees Tips Win in OT
- Silvertips Recall Goaltender Blake Lyda
- Fan Appreciation Night to Host Expected Large Crowd in Downtown Everett, March 16
- Silvertips Can't Hold Two-Goal Advantage, Fall 4-2