Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in OvertimeNovember 23, 2012 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Abbotsford Heat Press Release
Goalies Danny Taylor and Chistopher Nilstorp were both named stars after stopping a combined 46 shots in regulation, before the Heat won their 11th game of the season in dramatic fashion.
Winless in their first three trips to extra time this season, the Heat would strike early in overtime courtesy of Chris Breen. Sven Baertschi broke in on net off the draw at centre ice, and had his chance stopped, but Breen shot the rebound in to end the game less than ten seconds into the fourth period.
Danny Taylor started his eighth game of the season, making 19 saves to earn his fifth win in his first start since November 10th. Chistopher Nilstorp stopped all 27 shots faced in regulation, and one of two in extra time.
The Heat power play was stopped on all eight opportunities, and the penalty kill erased all five man-advantages for the Stars.
The Heat now sit just a point behind the Charlotte Checkers for top spot in the American Hockey League with a game-in-hand.
The Heat are back in action tomorrow night in San Antonio at 5:05 PST and will close out a stretch of three games in less than 48 hours in Houston on Sunday at 3:05 PST.
The Heat return to Abbotsford to play the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens) on Friday, November 30th and Saturday, December 1st. Friday's game is "Legends of Hockey Night", where the Heat will honour former Montreal Canadien Yvan Cournoyer. Saturday is the annual Pucks N' Paws game where fans are invited to bring a dog to the game to benefit the Abbotsford SPCA. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT(4328) or visit us online at www.AbbotsfordHeat.com.
American Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2012
- Heat Beat Stars 1-0 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Rampage Fall to Houston, 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Back to Back: Phantoms Prevail 2-1 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Sound Tigers Outscored by Whale 7-5 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Cole's Late Tally Leads to Shootout Win - Peoria Rivermen
- Abbotsford Slips by Texas 1-0 in Overtime - Texas Stars
- Tatar's Two Push Griffins Past Wolves - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Can't Snap Winless Streak - Lake Erie Monsters
- Crunch Edged by Senators 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Saad's Third Period Tally Lifts Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Fall in Shoot-Out to Peoria - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monarchs' Friday Gets Darker - Manchester Monarchs
- Whale defeat Sound Tigers - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Battle Through Wild Second Period, Surrender in Overtime - Springfield Falcons
- Black Friday No Bargain for Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- B-Sens Extend Win Streak to Five Games with 2-1 Win over Crunch - Binghamton Senators
- Hamilton Finds a Good Deal in Manchester on Black Friday - Worcester Sharks
- Devils Lose at Rochester - Albany Devils
- Fontaine Leads Houston Aeros to 2-1 Win in San Antonio - Houston Aeros
- Admirals Can't Complete Comeback in Glens Falls - Norfolk Admirals
- TVA Sports, TSN Radio 690, Sirius XM All to Broadcast Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Flynn, Brennan Power Amerks to 5-2 Win over Devils - Rochester Americans
- Fans Invited to Grey Cup Viewing Party at Copps Coliseum Following Bulldogs Game Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- P-Bruins Recall Courtnall - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Take on Texas Twice Next Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sportsnet Adds More American Hockey League Action - AHL
- Falcons Players to Transform into Celebrity Servers Tuesday - Springfield Falcons
- SiriusXM NHL Network Radio Adds More American Hockey League Games to Schedule - AHL
- Amerks Ticket Discount Available on Specially Marked Pepsi Cans - Rochester Americans
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Portland, Game #15 - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Sign Rod Pelley to PTO; Assign Gabe Guentzel to ECHL Fort Wayne - Norfolk Admirals
- Darcy Kuemper Reassigned to Orlando, Aeros Sign Goalie John Curry - Houston Aeros
- Falcons Sign Defenseman Cullity - Springfield Falcons
- Park and Ride Continues for this Weekend's Games - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.