Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the WeekSeptember 24, 2012 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) Los Angeles Sparks
In leading the Sparks to home wins over Phoenix (101-76) and Minnesota (92-76), Parker posted a pair of double-doubles and helped Los Angeles extend its record to 24-10, second best in the Western Conference, third best in the league. For the week, the fifth-year pro led the Western Conference in scoring (24.0 ppg), assists (6.0 apg), and blocks (3.0 bpg), while also ranking second in rebounds (11.0 rpg), third in steals (2.5 spg), and fourth in field goal percentage (.606, 20-of-33).
The University of Tenneesee product opened the week with 26 points, 11 rebounds, seven assists, and four blocks in the win over Phoenix. She followed that up with 22 points, another 11 boards, five assists, four steals, and two blocks as the Sparks downed Minnesota in the regular season finale for Los Angeles. With that, Parker wrapped up the season as the league-leader in blocks (2.3 bpg), and ranked third in rebounds (9.7 rpg), as well as seventh in scoring (17.4 ppg).
For Parker, the Player of the Week award presented by Boost Mobile is her fifth of the season and the tenth of her career. Parker's five Player of the Week honors this year - including four in the first eight weeks of the season - were the most in the league. Coupled with the three weekly honors won by teammates Nneka Ogwumike (two) and Kristi Toliver (one), Sparks players totaled a league-best eight Player of the Week presented by Boost Mobile honors.
The Sparks host the San Antonio Silver Stars on Thursday, September 27 at 7:00PM at USC Galen Center to open the Western Conference Semifinals. For playoff tickets, fans can visit www.LASparks.com or call 800.745.3000.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
• Digg this story
• Add to Del.icio.us
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 24, 2012
- Sparks Forward Candace Parker Named Player of the Week - Los Angeles Sparks
- Atlanta Dream's Angel McCoughtry Wins League Scoring Title - Atlanta Dream
- Lindsay Whalen Captures WNBA Peak Performer Honor for Second Consecutive Season - Minnesota Lynx
- Angel McCoughtry, Tina Charles and Lindsay Whalen Capture 2012 WNBA Peak Performer Honors - WNBA
- Mystics, Lacey to Part Ways - Washington Mystics
- Sun's Charles and Sparks' Parker Named Players of the Week - WNBA
- New York Liberty Extend Contract of Cappie Pondexter - New York Liberty
- Chicago, Phoenix, Tulsa, Washington to Vie for Top Pick in WNBA Draft - WNBA
- Sophia Young Signs Contract Extension - San Antonio Silver Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.