Hometown Heroes Celebration Night at Fifth Third FieldAugust 24, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Dayton Dragons
As part of the season-long celebration of the Hometown Heroes program, the DDC will take time to pay tribute to all service men and women associated with Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the Springfield Air National Guard Base.
During the game, the Dragons will honor nine Airmen recently returned from overseas duty in addition to presenting a video greeting card on the Dragons video board. The Airmen were deployed from WPAFB around the world including Afghanistan, Africa, Kuwait, and South Korea. The greeting card will be from Senior Airman James McGrath, who will leave for training on Sunday and deployment shortly thereafter. McGrath and his family will be in attendance on Saturday.
Colonel Cassie Barlow, who was recently named the new Commander of the 88th Air Base Wing at WPAFB, will be in attendance to throw a ceremonial first pitch and welcome home the returning Airmen. Col. Barlow was named to her current post in July and is in charge one of the largest air base wings in the Air Force, with more than 5,000 employees. As the host unit at WPAFB, the 88th Air Base Wing operates the airfield, maintains all infrastructure, and provides many services for more than 100 associate units at the base. Barlow is the third female commander of the 88th Air Base Wing.
Lieutenant General C.D. Moore, Commander of the Air Force Life Cycle Management Center at WPAFB, will address the crowd and also swear in a group of Air Force recruits. Four Tuskegee Airmen from World War II will be in attendance and recognized on the field in the middle of the third inning. The four airmen are residents of the Dayton region.
Festivities for the Celebration Night will begin with military displays on the Fifth Third Field plaza at 6:00 p.m. Other pregame activities include the display of a giant American flag by children of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Airmen and the Wright-Patterson Honor Guard will present the colors. Children of Springfield Air National Guard Airmen will serve as Kroger Baseball Buddies for Saturday's game. Kelly Perry, Senior Airman in the Air Force Band of Flight, will perform the national anthem. Following the anthem, there will be a flyover featuring vintage WWII Trainer plane, the PT-17 Stearman, which will be flanked two bi-planes. Perry will also sing God Bless America.
Midwest League Stories from August 24, 2012
- Bandits' 10 Runs Means Furniture 40 Percent off at American - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels sneak past Rattlers in ten innnings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Hold Down River Bandits in Wild Win - Kane County Cougars
- Snappers Win with Dominant Offense - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Pull Out Remarkable Comeback Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Money Win for the Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Kline Homers in First at Bat, Hot Rods Fall - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rodriguez's Grand Slam Keys Dragons 8-4 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Milk... Does the Captains Good in 7-5 Victory - Lake County Captains
- Chiefs Lose 8-2 Friday in Beloit - Peoria Chiefs
- Shipman Helps Bees Avoid Sweep, 4-1 Clinton - Burlington Bees
- Smith's Smash Sinks South Bend - South Bend Silver Hawks
- LumberKings Drop Finale in Burlington, 4-1 - Clinton LumberKings
- Fort Wayne Loses Lead, Series to West Michigan - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sweeney spearheads Loons' 8-3 win over Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Reinaldo Lopez Transferred to Bowling Green - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Homestand Preview: August 25-28 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons to Wear Pink Wristbands in Support of Breast Cancer Awareness - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Gameday for August 24 - Dayton Dragons
- Hometown Heroes Celebration Night at Fifth Third Field - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Playoff Tickets on Sale Monday, August 27 - Lake County Captains
- Borenstein homers twice in Kernels 6-3 loss to Wisconsin - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- LumberKings Win 7th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Hawks and Captains Split Double-Header - South Bend Silver Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.