Timbers Weekly UpdateAugust 23, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Portland Timbers
Saturday's fixture will be televised live on ROOT SPORTS, with live radio broadcasts available on 750 AM The Game and in Spanish on La Pantera 940 AM.
The match between the Northwest rivals counts towards the Cascadia Cup, a fan-based derby contested between Portland, Vancouver and Seattle Sounders FC. The Timbers, along with Sounders FC, sit on top of the current 2012 Cascadia Cup standings with four points each; Whitecaps FC has two points. Following Saturday's match, Portland will have three remaining Cascadia Cup matches this season.
The Timbers (5-13-6, 21pts) and Whitecaps FC (10-9-7, 37pts) meet for the second time this season. The two sides played to a rain-soaked, 1-1 draw May 26 at JELD-WEN Field. Forward Kris Boyd notched the opening goal for Portland in the second half before Vancouver rookie Darren Mattocks leveled in the 84th minute. Since both clubs joined MLS in 2011, the Timbers are unbeaten against Whitecaps FC with a 2-0-1 record in the all-time MLS series. The two longtime rivals meet for a third and final time during the regular season on Sunday, Oct. 21, at BC Place in the Timbers' final road match of the 2012 campaign.
Saturday's match will mark the 72nd meeting all-time between the Timbers and Whitecaps in a rivalry dating back to 1975 and the original North American Soccer League (NASL). The Timbers are 18-10-9 all-time against Vancouver in the Rose City.
Whitecaps FC visits Portland having lost back-to-back matches for just the third time this season, falling 2-0 to FC Dallas on Aug. 15 and 2-0 to Seattle on Aug. 18. Led by Mattocks' team-best seven goals, Vancouver enters the week tied for fourth in the Western Conference.
TIMBERS GAME NOTES vs. WHITECAPS FC
- Portland is coming off a two-game road trip in which it scored multiple goals in back-to-back matches for the first time this season.
- Saturday's match is the fourth MLS meeting between Portland and Vancouver since both clubs joined the league in 2011. Three of the first four meetings will have been held at JELD-WEN Field.
- The Timbers have outscored Whitecaps FC 4-2 through the first three matches of the MLS series between the clubs; Portland has featured four different goal-scorers against Vancouver.
- Midfielder/forward Darlington Nagbe has scored in consecutive matches, notching the equalizer against Toronto FC on Aug. 15 and scoring against New York over the weekend.
- Midfielder Sal Zizzo has recorded a goal and two assists over the last two matches - both starts.
- The Timbers will be without the services of midfielder Diego Chara, who is serving a one-match, league-imposed suspension for caution accumulation. He received his eighth caution in the loss to New York on Aug. 19.
- Chara is one of the Timbers' leading scorers in the MLS series against Whitecaps FC, recording a goal and an assist.
- Whitecaps FC forward Camilo has taken 11 shots over the three matches in the MLS series against the Timbers.
- Timbers striker Kris Boyd was teammates with Whitecaps FC midfielder Barry Robson at English side Middlesboro during the 2010-11 season. Additionally, Boyd played two seasons with Vancouver forward Kenny Miller with Scotland's Rangers from 2008-10.
- The Timbers have sold out 29 consecutive home MLS matches at JELD-WEN Field since joining the league in 2011.
Midfielder Sal Zizzo selected to MLS Team of the Week for Week 24
With a goal and two assists during the club's recent Eastern Conference road trip, midfielder Sal Zizzo was selected to MLSsoccer.com's MLS Team of the Week for Week 24. Zizzo becomes the first Timbers player selected to the MLSsoccer.com Team of the Week since defender Eric Brunner in Week 11. Click here for the complete Team of the Week for Week 24.
Making his second start of the season, Zizzo scored his first MLS goal as part of a 2-2 draw against Toronto FC on Aug. 15. He then recorded his first multiple-assist performance of his MLS career, assisting on both Portland goals, in a 3-2 loss to the New York Red Bulls on Aug. 19.
Additionally, midfielders Darlington Nagbe and Franck Songo'o were named honorable mention.
Near-capacity crowd expected for Timbers Reserves match Sunday at JELD-WEN Field
The Timbers Reserves continue MLS Reserve League play Sunday as they play host to the San Jose Earthquake Reserves at JELD-WEN Field at 6 p.m. (Pacific). Tickets are $10 and are available for purchase through the JELD-WEN Field box office or through Ticketmaster.
With a near-capacity crowd anticipated for Sunday, the Timbers will break their club record for single-game MLS Reserve League attendance. The current mark is 10,077, set on Aug. 21, 2011, for a match between the Timbers Reserves and Whitecaps FC Reserves.
The Timbers Reserves (3-3-1, 10pts) are coming off a 4-2 win over the Chivas USA Reserves on July 29 at JELD-WEN Field, and are three points back of the LA Galaxy Reserves in first place in the MLS Reserve League's West Division . The Timbers Reserves and Earthquakes Reserves (2-2-2, 8pts) met earlier this season, with San Jose claiming a 1-0 win March 27 in California.
Goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts nominated for Save of the Week: Week 24
New Timbers goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts has been nominated for MLS Save of the Week for Week 24. His saves on a sequence of shots by New York's Thierry Henry and Sebastien Le Toux on Aug. 19 are one of five nominees. Click here to view the nominees and cast a vote for Save of the Week; voting ends Thursday night.
Timbers to feature PTFCA's The Frying Scotsman Saturday at JELD-WEN Field
Popular Portland food carts are joining in on the match-day experience at JELD-WEN Field. The Frying Scotsman, a member of the Portland Timbers Food Cart Alliance, will serve its signature fish and chips on Saturday as the Timbers take on Whitecaps FC at JELD-WEN Field.
The Timbers are featuring select food carts affiliated with the new Portland Timbers Food Cart Alliance (PTFCA) at remaining regular-season home games this season. Determined by a fan vote, select PTFCA carts have been selected to prepare their signature items at upcoming home matches. Click here for additional info on each of the featured PTFCA carts.
To learn more about the PTFCA, which is free to join, visit www.portlandtimbers.com/ptfca .
Voting for MLSsoccer.com's 24 Under 24 has begun
It is time for the third-annual MLSsoccer.com 24 Under 24 - the ultimate ranking of the top young players in MLS. In 2012, fans will have input in helping MLSsoccer.com select the top players under 24 from clubs around MLS. Click here to cast your vote.
The Timbers have 13 players under the age of 24 eligible for voting. Fan votes will count for 10 percent of a player's ranking with the other 90 percent determined by the submissions of an expert media panel, including the editorial staff of MLSsoccer.com.
The 2012 24 Under 24 countdown begins Sept. 10, with the No. 1 player being revealed Sept. 21. Last season, Darlington Nagbe was named No. 10 on the 24 Under 24 list.
2012 Portland Timbers Corporate Cup comes to a close
The 2012 Portland Timbers Corporate Cup wrapped up over the weekend, with the championship matches for all three divisions taking place at JELD-WEN Field. After 310 minutes, four extra time periods and two penalty-kick shootouts, teams from Nike came away the clear winners, taking home the cup in all three divisions.
The other finalists included Lompoc Brewing (men's competitive), Tursi's Soccer (co-ed) and Widmer Brothers Brewing (men's recreational).
In total, 48 matches were contested among 14 teams, representing 11 local companies, during the 2012 Portland Timbers Corporate Cup, raising money for Timbers community pillar partner Portland YouthBuilders.
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
TV: "Timbers In 30"
The Timbers weekly television show, "Timbers In 30," features exclusive, inside access to the club and regularly airs each Friday at 6:30 p.m. on KPTV Fox 12. "Timbers In 30" features inside access to the inner-workings and personalities of the club and provides detailed team and game analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers players and coaches each week.
Due to programming, the "Timbers in 30" show this Friday will air at 9:30 p.m. (Pacific).
Previously aired shows and "Timbers In 30" features can be found at www.portlandtimbers.com .
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," presented by JELD-WEN Windows & Doors regularly airs each Tuesdays at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on 750 AM The Game. Hosted by John Strong, "Talk Timbers" features interviews with club officials, coaches, players and special guests. The show will provide team news and the latest information from around MLS during the 2012 season.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 AM The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com . Available podcasts can be downloaded at www.portlandtimbers.com/timbers-podcast-network .
Major League Soccer Stories from August 23, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes to Make Major Announcement Regarding New Stadium - San Jose Earthquakes
- Red Bulls Goalkeeper Ryan Meara Undergoes Hip Surgery - New York Red Bulls
- RSL Returns to MLS Play with Match at Philadelphia - Real Salt Lake
- Former Star Forward Paul Child and Original Owner Milan Mandaric to be Inducted into Earthquakes Hal - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston wins over C.D. FAS - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.