Pelicans Fan MudcatsAugust 18, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Carolina Mudcats
Luke Jackson (5-1) picked up the win after tossing five frames. He allowed two runs on four hits while fanning seven hitters. Three relievers combined for the final four innings to hold Carolina (27-28, 56-66) scoreless while totaling nine strikeouts.
Myrtle Beach (32-23, 68-57) wins the season series over Carolina, claiming 11 of the 19 meetings so far. The victory also pads the Pelicans' lead in the wildcard race to five games over the Mudcats.
Michael Goodnight (2-12) takes the loss after a promising start. Goodnight allowed three runs on three hits over 3.2 innings, but his inconsistency affected his outing. The right-hander walked four hitters and also hit three.
Carolina built an early 2-0 lead thanks to a run in the second inning and one in the third. Dwight Childs hit a bases-loaded sacrifice fly to right for a 1-0 lead. Delvi Cid crushed a majestic blast that cleared the facility out to left leading off the third.
From there, it was all Myrtle Beach. The Pelicans scored a run in the third, and brought home two in the fourth without a hit. Goodnight hit two batters and walked one to load the bases. A wild pitch allowed the tying run across, and a sacrifice fly by Josh Richmond scored the go-ahead run.
The Pelicans scored four times in the sixth against reliever Kyle Blair to put the game out of reach.
The Carolina Mudcats and Myrtle Beach Pelicans meet for a final time in 2012 Sunday evening. First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m. Mudcats return home to host the Salem Red Sox for three games on August 24. Tickets are available by calling (919) 269-2287 or visiting carolinamudcats.com.
Carolina League Stories from August 18, 2012
- 16 K's Vault Pelicans to Win - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Pelicans Fan Mudcats - Carolina Mudcats
- Keys Score Eight Unanswered Runs to Halt Dash - Frederick Keys
- It's Deja Blue as Wilmington Walks Off - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Nat Jacks Surge Potomac Past Salem 7-4 - Salem Red Sox
- Walker Shines in Frederick's Comeback Win - Winston-Salem Dash
- Hillcats Lose 1-0 on Walk-Off in Ninth - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Trio of Homers Power Potomac to 7-4 Victory - Potomac Nationals
- Lynchburg Hilllcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.