TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series VictoryAugust 16, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
The game's only runs scored in the fourth inning, with Lansing's Brandon Berl (3-6) on the mound. He issued a leadoff walk to Yeison Asencio, which was followed by a single off the bat of newcomer Connor Powers, playing his first game in a TinCaps uniform in 2012. After a sacrifice bunt by Travis Whitmore, Gaedele hit a single up the middle of the infield, which bounced off the glove of second baseman Andy Fermin. Both Asencio and Powers scored on the play, putting Fort Wayne (31-21, 62-60) in front, 2-0.
Lansing (27-23, 74-45) faced a dominant Ruben Mejia (2-6), who allowed only three hits. Mejia's outing was his longest since he pitched five and two-thirds innings on August 24, 2011, with the Arizona League Padres. Mejia paired with Johnny Barbato, who worked one and one-third innings, to hold the Lugnuts to an 0-7 mark with runners in scoring position. In the series, Lansing is just 1-23 with runners in scoring position.
The game was halted at 9:01 PM in the top of the eighth, with Fort Wayne's Tyler Stubblefield at the plate. The count was one ball and two strikes, with Noah Syndergaard on the hill. After a delay of 44 minutes, the game was officially called by umpires Ben Guttenberger and J.J. Bilinksi.
The TinCaps will play for a series sweep Friday night, with James Needy scheduled to take the hill against Lansing's Justin Nicolino. If Fort Wayne sweeps Lansing, it will be the first road sweep of a three-game series for the TinCaps since July 18-20 at Cedar Rapids. Fort Wayne last swept Lansing at Cooley Law School Stadium August 13-15, 2011. Friday's first pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
Midwest League Stories from August 16, 2012
- Whitecaps' Comeback Soured By Walk-Off Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers hold on to beat Beloit - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Lose 4-0 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall Despite 9th Inning Rally - Beloit Snappers
- River Bandits roll Kernels, 8-1 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Outpaced by Hot Rods - Great Lakes Loons
- Groff's Tenth-Inning Knock Lifts Hawks - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Markel Continues Surge, Hot Rods Win in Great Lakes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- River Bandits Keep Hot Streak against Kernels in 8-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Diaz, Arias Lead Dragons to 12-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Even Series, Beat Clinton - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts fall, 2-0, in rain-shortened shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Slug Captains 12-6 - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Win 2-0, Secure Series Victory - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- LumberKings At-Bat against Traumatic Brain Injuries - Clinton LumberKings
- Dragons Gameday for August 16 - Dayton Dragons
- LumberKings Announce "Kings of the Diamond" Softball Tournament - Clinton LumberKings
- Track the Backwoods of Bowling Green at the Ballpark - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bees to Welcome Three Millionth Fan - Burlington Bees
- Two Big Innings Lift LumberKings in Kane County - Clinton LumberKings
- Bees Beat Peoria, 5-1 - Burlington Bees
- Snappers Win in Slug Fest 13-10 over Wisconsin - Beloit Snappers
- Snappers outslug Wisconsin - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.