Colts Lose Series Opener to WhiteWingsAugust 9, 2012 - North American League (NAL) San Angelo Colts
Rio Grande Valley scored four runs in the first inning. The first five batters reached base, including third baseman Leivi Ventura who hit an RBI single to drive in the game's first run.
Ventura and shortstop Leugim Barroso both scored on a three-run homer by first baseman Romulo Ruiz. For Ruiz, it was his fifth home run of the season.
The Colts responded with a four-run third inning. Designated hitter J.J. Sherrill, second baseman Jason Diaz, first baseman Landon Camp and centerfielder Cory Patton all scored. Patton capped the inning off with a two-RBI double.
San Angelo starter Mike Hart (5-2) was unable to keep the WhiteWings at bay, though. Rio Grande Valley tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the third to take a 6-4 lead. Hart took the loss, allowing six runs on 10 hits in seven innings.
WhiteWings' starter Celson Polanco (9-4) gave up a fifth Colts' run in the seventh, but held on for the win. Polanco surrendered five runs, one earned, on eight hits in 6 2/3 innings.
Reliever Wander Perez pitched the final 2 1/3 innings to collect his second save.
The win improves the WhiteWings to 41-31, while the loss drops the Colts to 37-36. This series continues Friday night at 7:05 p.m. The game can be heard live on KKSA beginning at 6:50 p.m.
San Angelo returns home on August 18 to play the Abilene Prairie Dogs. It will be the Vegas Fan Fly Away, sponsored by Midland International Airport. One fan will win two tickets to Las Vegas, courtesy of Midland International Airport. Gates open at 6:05 p.m., and first pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
North American League Stories from August 9, 2012
- Cats Pull Away in Abilene - Fort Worth Cats
- Colts Lose Series Opener to WhiteWings - San Angelo Colts
- WhiteWings defeat San Angelo - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Roadrunners Win Third Straight - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Cats Pull Away Late - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Dogs Expand Pitching Staff - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Jersey Auction Night Saturday - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Colts Activate Sherrill - San Angelo Colts
- Grapes Fall to San Rafael for Second Consecutive Night - San Rafael Pacifics
- Tyler Pearson Pitches San Rafael Past Sonoma County Grapes - San Rafael Pacifics
- Colts Make Moves Before Road Trip - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.