Archer's Effort Not Enough, Bulls Fall in 10August 7, 2012 - International League (IL) Durham Bulls
Archer tossed a gem, going 6 2/3 innings, allowing an earned run on five hits, with two walks and eight strikeouts. After allowing a run in the first inning, the Rays top pitching prospect settled down and struck out the side in the second. The Clayton, NC native added five more punch outs, but was pulled after allowing a two out walk in the top of the seventh. Frank De Los Santos relieved the righty and allowed a hit to the first batter he faced, but followed it by striking out Jason Donald to end the inning.
The Bulls struck back with a run in the bottom of the fourth off of Columbus starter Eric Berger. Henry Wrigley smoked an RBI double for the second straight game to score Cole Figueroa from second base.
Despite Archer's dominant performance, it would take extra innings to decide the contest. The game remained at a 1-1 stalemate until the top of the 10th inning. After working a 1-2-3 ninth, Brandon Gomes (L, 0-3, 2.27) allowed a leadoff single to the number nine hitter Aaron Cunningham. A wild pitch and a fly ball moved Cunningham 90 feet from breaking the tie. Gomes had a two strike count on Donald, but the Clippers shortstop drove a single into right field to give Columbus a 2-1 edge. J.C Romero sat the Bulls down in order in the bottom of the 10th, securing the extra-inning win for the Indians' top affiliate.
The Bulls look for their 5th win of the homestand tomorrow night against the Clippers at 7:05pm. RHP Jeanmar Gomez (5-2, 3.02) will start for Columbus against RHP Alex Colome (0-0, 0.00), who makes his second Triple-A start.
International League Stories from August 7, 2012
- Pie Powers G-Braves Past Norfolk, 6-4 - Gwinnett Braves
- Knights Knock out Indians 12-2 - Indianapolis Indians
- Dickerson's Two-RBI Single Sinks Red Wings in 3-1 Extra Innings SWB Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Empire State 3, Rochester 1 (11 Innings) - Rochester Red Wings
- Archer's Effort Not Enough, Bulls Fall in 10 - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Scrap for Close Win over Bisons - Syracuse Chiefs
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Tuesday, August 7 vs. Empire State (Yankees) - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Unmask 2013 Schedule - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Tickets Still Available for Cal Ripken Jr's International League Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Yankees Placing 2013 Season Tickets on Sale - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:00 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.