Drive Pick-Up Series Opening WinAugust 3, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Greenville Drive
Noe Ramirez had pitched extremely well recently, but that second win always seemed to elude him. He got it tonight with a very good outing to improve to 2-3 on the season. He threw six innings, allowing five hits and one run while walking two and punching out seven Crawdads hitters. Nefi Ogando followed with two scoreless innings, and Tyler Lockwood fired a perfect ninth inning, including a pair of strikeouts, to record his seventh save of the season.
Hickory starter Victor Payano (5-7) never could get settled in, as he gave up six hits, two earned runs and three walks in three innings of work. The Crawdads did get outstanding relief from Andrew Faulkner, who hurled five innings, allowing just one hit and an unearned run while collecting four strikeouts.
The Drive got to Payano early with two runs in the first inning. Keury De la Cruz and Garin Cecchini hit back-to-back singles with one out. During David Renfroe's at bat, De la Cruz stole third and scored on an error by Payano, which moved Cecchini to second. Henry Ramos later grounded into a fielder's choice which plated Cecchini and gave the Drive a 2-0 lead.
Greenville added single runs in the third and the eighth innings. In the third, Ramos reached on another fielder's choice, moved to third on a single from Drew Turocy and scored on a line drive single from Jordan Weems. Cody Koback hit a one-out single in the eighth, and Turocy reached on an error to put runners at first and third. During Weem's at-bat, Koback came in to score when Faulkner uncorked a wild pitch.
Hickory's lone run of the evening came in the top of the sixth, when Drew Robinson launched a solo homer just over the right field wall with two outs to break up Ramirez's shutout attempt.
These same two teams meet again on Saturday night at Fluor Field. First pitch is set for 7:05. RHP Jason Garcia (5-5, 6.02) is the scheduled starter for the Drive, while the Crawdads' starter will be LHP Kevin Matthews (2-2, 4.63).
Throughout tomorrow night's game, fans will be entertained by the ZOOperstars! For more information regarding single-game tickets, luxury accommodations, and group outings, call (864) 240-4500 or log onto GreenvilleDrive.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from August 3, 2012
- T's Snatch Game One from the 'Gnats - Asheville Tourists
- Shorebirds Fall 7-4 in Game One to Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rome wins record 12th straight Kannapolis native Query 2-for-4 with 2 RBI - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Pick-Up Series Opening Win - Greenville Drive
- Skole's Legendary Walk-Off Grand Slam Lifts Suns over Lexington - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Take Weather Shortened Game 2-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Steers by 'Dads, 4-1 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Arms Maintain Hold on First - West Virginia Power
- 'Claws Shutout by Power, 2-0 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Charleston Downs GreenJackets in Rain-Shortened Game on Friday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Hickory Metro Sports Commission Selected to Host Great Smokies Basketball Shootout - Hickory Crawdads
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Greensboro - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Legends Take Third Straight over Asheville, 9-5 - Lexington Legends
- Mayo's Home Woes Continue; T's Fall 9-5 - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.