Hot Rods Solve Whitecaps on Saturday NightJuly 28, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Bowling Green Hot Rods
Malm's home run placed the Hot Rods into an early lead in the bottom of the second. With two outs, the Las Vegas native blasted a 2-0 pitch from Whitecap starter Jeff Ferrell over Seventh Avenue and into the SKyPAC parking lot. The longball was Malm's twelfth of the season, which gives him the team lead among current players. The recently-promoted Todd Glaesmann still owns the outright team lead with 13 home runs.
Using the long Malm home run as momentum, the Hot Rods offense was back to their scoring ways in the bottom of the third as Tyler Goeddel led off with a double down the line in left field. With runners at first and second with one out, Drew Vettleson reached on a Eugenio Suarez wild throw error that scored Goeddel. The next batter was Alejandro Segovia, who also doubled down the line in left field to drive in two more runs. At the end of three innings, the Hot Rods held a 4-0 advantage.
Jake Partridge allowed just one hit in his two innings of relief to keep the Whitecaps at bay. With a 4-2 lead in the bottom of the ninth, the Hot Rods gave the ball to closer Austin Hubbard, who hurled a 1-2-3 frame to lock down his 15th save of the season.
The seven-game homestand continues on Sunday evening at Bowling Green Ballpark when the Hot Rods host the Whitecaps for the middle game of the three-game set at 5:05 PM. The Hot Rods will give the pearl to RHP Trevor Shull (2-6, 5.68), while the Whitecaps will counter with RHP Wilsen Palacios (11-6, 3.48). Tune in to the game on the flagship station for the Hot Rods Radio Network, WBGN-AM 1340 "The Ticket" and online at 1340wbgn.com. The Forever Communications Pregame Show with Hank Fuerst begins at 6:45 PM CDT.
On Sunday at Bowling Green Ballpark, kids can run the bases for FREE postgame as a part of the Smucker's Uncrustables Fun Run. For ticket information visit BGHotRods.com or call the Hot Rods at (270)-901-2121.
Midwest League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Errant Throw Gives Fort Wayne Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose 10-4 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Solve Whitecaps on Saturday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Nine Hits But Not Enough Runs - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Taylor Provides Another Walk-Off Winner for Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Win on Great Lakes' Late Miscue - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Pop Kernels, 6-1 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Roar Back for Win - Kane County Cougars
- Gallego Tallies Four Hits in Hawks Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- River Bandits Lose Fourth Straight on Another Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Streaking LumberKings top Rattlers on a walkoff single - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hobson Drives Lugnuts To 9-5 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Escape with One Run Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back But Fall 6-5 at Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Bees Make Roster Moves - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for July 31-August 3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes Drops Series in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Baez's blast downs Kernels, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.