TinCaps Win on Great Lakes' Late MiscueJuly 28, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Four lead changes took place over the first six innings of the game, setting the pace for a tight finish. Gallic led off the Fort Wayne (20-14, 51-53) eighth reaching on an error by Loons second baseman Pedro Guerrero, and remained there as Yeison Asencio popped out for the first out of the inning. With Travis Whitmore at the plate, the Loons pitched out, and Maynard threw toward first base. His throw skittered past first baseman Jesse Bosnik, and into the right field corner. Gallic galloped around second and then third as right fielder Nick Akins retrieved the ball. Eventually scoring without a throw to the plate, Gallic proved to be the deciding run.
The TinCaps scored the game's first run on a third-inning RBI single from Kyle Gaedele. Great Lakes (16-18, 50-54) responded with two runs in the top of the fourth on a Nick Akins two-run single. The Loons stretched their lead to 3-1 in the fifth inning with a Scott Schebler RBI single. Fort Wayne starter Ruben Mejia exited in the fifth, throwing 4 1/3 innings, allowing three earned runs on five hits. He walked three and struck out two.
In the bottom of the inning, Fort Wayne pulled to within one on a solo home run by Kyle Gaedle and tied the game on an RBI single from Gallic. Each team scored once in the sixth, making a 3-3 tie into a game locked at four.
Gallic pushed Fort Wayne ahead, 5-4, and Matt Stites closed out the game, earning his ninth save of the season.
The TinCaps continue their three-game series tomorrow afternoon at 3:05. The scheduled starters are Matt Wisler for Fort Wayne and Miguel Sulbaran for the Loons.
Midwest League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Errant Throw Gives Fort Wayne Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose 10-4 Saturday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Solve Whitecaps on Saturday Night - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Nine Hits But Not Enough Runs - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Taylor Provides Another Walk-Off Winner for Clinton - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Win on Great Lakes' Late Miscue - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bees Pop Kernels, 6-1 - Burlington Bees
- Cougars Roar Back for Win - Kane County Cougars
- Gallego Tallies Four Hits in Hawks Loss - South Bend Silver Hawks
- River Bandits Lose Fourth Straight on Another Walk-Off - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Streaking LumberKings top Rattlers on a walkoff single - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hobson Drives Lugnuts To 9-5 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Escape with One Run Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Battle Back But Fall 6-5 at Lake County - Dayton Dragons
- Burlington Bees Make Roster Moves - Burlington Bees
- Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights for July 31-August 3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Great Lakes Drops Series in Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Baez's blast downs Kernels, 3-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.