Barclays and Under Armour Announced as Title and Presenting Sponsors of New York CupJuly 23, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New York Red Bulls
"We are excited to welcome Barclays and Under Armour, two great global brands in their respective categories as partners in this international event at Red Bull Arena, " said Chris Heck, Red Bulls President of Business Operations. "We are looking forward to working with both of them in this New York event."
"We are delighted to be sponsoring the Barclays New York Cup between Tottenham Hotspur of the Barclays Premier League and the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer," said Gerard LaRocca, Chief Administrative Officer, Americas, Barclays. "As a long term partner of soccer, and a sponsor of a 2010 tournament at Red Bull Arena with both of these teams, it is a real pleasure to be involved in bringing two of the best teams from both sides of the Atlantic together once again."
"Barclays commitment with global soccer is certainly tangible in their long time title sponsorship of the Barclays Premier League," a dded Heck.
"Tottenham Hotspur is one of the world's most exciting football club's and we're honored to be their new technical part ner," said Matt Mirchin, Senior Vice President, Global Brand and Sports Marketing, Under Armour. "Their match against the New York Red Bull s is a great opportunity for US fans to see world-class football and the club's new Under Armour kits that will help Spurs players perform their best."
" Under Armour is a solid American company that has developed a great reputation in the sports world and is now making a signi ficant move in the world's game, as shown in their kit sponsorship for Tottenham, " finalized Heck.
Red Bulls Full Season Ticket Holders will have this match included in their plans as "Event 18" (out of 20). Season Ticket Holders will have access to an exclusive team meet-and-greet, as well as an open practice and autograph session. Fans can purchase tickets for the match by logging onto www.newyorkredbulls.com or calling 1.877.RBSOCCER.
Tottenham, also known as Spurs, finished fourth in the 2011-12 Barclays Premier League. The London-based club boasts a number of top international players including Welsh midfielder Gareth Bale, Dutch midfielder Rafael Van der Vaart and former U.S. Men's Nati onal Team standout goalkeeper Brad Friedel.
Tottenham came to Red Bull Arena on July 22, 2010 as part of the Barclays New York Challenge and won, 2-1, behind goals from Robbie Keane and Bale. New York forward and former Arsenal
FC star Thierry Henry made his Red Bulls debut in that match and scored in the first half. The Red Bulls have a 1-1-1 record all-time against Barclays Premier League sides.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 23, 2012
- Weekly Update: Rapids Host Swansea City A.F.C. Tomorrow - Colorado Rapids
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids Auctioning Autographed, Game-Worn Jerseys to Benefit HelpColoradoNow.org - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York Releases Statement Regarding Tim Cahill - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets for U.S. Men's National Team World Cup Qualifier on Sale Tomorrow - Sporting Kansas City
- Limited Tickets Remain for the Dynamo's August 3 Match vs. the New York Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo
- Crew News & Notes: Crew Begins Busy Week with International Friendly against Stoke City FC Tuesday - Columbus Crew
- FC Dallas Captures U-18 Development Academy Championship with Come from Behind 3-2 Victory against V - FC Dallas
- Weekly Update: First Place Red Bulls Visit Montreal on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Forward Calen Carr Voted MLS Player of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Houston Dynamo Forward Calen Carr Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire Head to Bay Area to Quell the Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- RSL-AZ Players Honored at 2011-12 USSDA End of Year Awards - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting KC Hosts Montpellier Herault SC on Tuesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Barclays and Under Armour Announced as Title and Presenting Sponsors of New York Cup - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.