Brock Shocks B-Mets with Walk-Off WinnerJuly 9, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Altoona Curve
Altoona started the ninth trailing 2-1 and hadn't had much offense all afternoon except for a Robbie Grossman solo home run in the fifth that at the time tied the game at one. The solo shot by Grossman also was the only time he reached base on the day as he ran his on-base streak to a team-best 23 games.
Ramon Cabrera led off the ninth inning against B-Mets reliever Adrian Rosario (1-2), who converted on the save on Sunday night, and flew out to center on a deep fly ball. Rosario then lost command of the strike zone as he walked both Curry and Cunningham to put the tying and go-ahead runs on with one down. Welch was brought in as a pinch hitter for Kelson Brown and he smoked a single to right that tied the game to setup Holt's walk-off heroics.
Starter Phil Irwin turned in another quality start, his third in a row, with one run allowed on five hits in six innings. The Germantown, Tenn. native also doubled on the day and went 1-for-2 at the plate. In his last three outings, Irwin as given up a total of three runs in 20.0 IP.
Kris Harvey worked two innings and allowed a run out of the bullpen while Logan Kensing (1-0) grabbed the win as he pitched a scoreless top of the ninth inning. Oscar Tejeda was the only player to register a multi-hit game on Monday, ending the day 2-for-4.
Altoona (43-45) hits the All-Star Break on a high note and will have Tuesday and Wednesday off before returning to action beginning at 7:05 p.m. Thursday night from Canal Park in Akron, Ohio. All-Stars Holt, Vic Black, Brandon Cumpton and Ramon Cabrera will travel to Reading, Pa. to take place in the Eastern League All-Star Game scheduled for Wednesday, July 11th at FirstEnergy Stadium.
On the hill for the Curve when they return to action on Thursday will be RHP Tim Alderson (4-3, 3.71), who will look to build upon his last two starts where he is a combined 1-0 with two runs allowed in 11.2 IP.
For tickets and more information on the next Curve homestand beginning Thursday, July 19th, call 877.99.CURVE, visit AltoonaCurve.com or stop by the box office windows at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
Eastern League Stories from July 9, 2012
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Harrisburg Senators - Erie SeaWolves
- Curve Fans Will Save If Cutch Or Bautista Advance in Tonight's Home Run Derby - Altoona Curve
- Curve Steamroll Rosario in Ninth, 3-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Phelps Dominant in Thunder's 3-0 Shutout of Portland - Trenton Thunder
- Brock Shocks B-Mets with Walk-Off Winner - Altoona Curve
- Squirrels Sweep Away Reading, 9-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Trenton Takes Series Finale 3-0 Over Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Aeros Oust Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Aeros Defeat Baysox 4-2 - Akron Aeros
- Van Kirk Homers to End First Half - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Glenn Named Eastern League Player of the Week - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Thunder INF Kevin Mahoney Cleared to Play in All-Star Game - Trenton Thunder
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Reading - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Celebrate Christmas Early with the Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Justin Fitzgerald Named EL Player of the Week - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Eastern League Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - EL
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Altoona Curve - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.