Chiefs Shut out Bisons on Independence DayJuly 4, 2012 - International League (IL) Syracuse Chiefs
Syracuse (44-42) started the scoring in the second inning against Buffalo starter Matt Harvey. Carroll led off with a walk and moved to third base after Carlos Rivero singled down the left-field line. Jesus Valdez, who was called up to the Chiefs from Double-A Harrisburg earlier in the day, put his new team up 1-0 with a sacrifice fly to right.
One run proved to be enough support for the International League All-Star Duke and the Chiefs' bullpen. Duke retired 11 batters before Fred Lewis got the Bisons' first hit on a bunt single in the fourth inning. Buffalo managed to have only one runner reach third base all night.
Meanwhile, Duke received some added run support in the home sixth. Jim Negrych knocked a solo home run - his sixth of the season - to give the Chiefs a 2-0 lead. The second baseman, who also singled in the game, is now 24 of his last 49 (.490).
Duke exited the contest in the seventh after allowing a leadoff single to Adam Loewen and walking Rob Johnson. Pat Lehman came on to relieve the left-hander and proceeded to retire the only three batters he faced.
The Chiefs offense then provided some fireworks in the eighth inning. Corey Brown singled to begin the frame and reached third when Jarrett Hoffpauir hit a ground-rule double. Negrych then walked to load the bases. With one out, Carroll doubled to left field to score both Brown and Hoffpauir. Carlos Rivero then followed with a sacrifice fly and Syracuse led 5-0.
Christian Garcia threw a scoreless eighth and ninth inning for the Chiefs, who snapped a four-game losing streak.
The Chiefs and Bisons meet in the middle game of a three-game set Thursday night at Alliance Bank Stadium at 7:00. Right-hander Mitch Atkins is slated to start for Syracuse.
International League Stories from July 4, 2012
- Gwinnett tops Charlotte, 6-2 - Gwinnett Braves
- Repko, Hee Blast PawSox to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Pawtucket 7, Rochester 4 - Rochester Red Wings
- Columbus Brings Offensive Fireworks, Beats Hens 13-3 on Fourth of July - Toledo Mud Hens
- Yankee Offense Explodes to Down IronPigs 8-5 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- Bulls Celebrate Independence Day with Big Win - Durham Bulls
- Chiefs Shut out Bisons on Independence Day - Syracuse Chiefs
- Tribe Lights up Louisville 6-1 in Front of 14,504 - Indianapolis Indians
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Wednesday, July 4 vs. Pawtucket (Red Sox) - Rochester Red Wings
- Heath Recalled by Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- IronPigs Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (6:30 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Orioles Recall RHP Chris Tillman from Triple-A Norfolk - Norfolk Tides
- Marte Named Tribe's June Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.