Rafters Come up Short in Return HomeJuly 3, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
A line shot homer in the first off the bat of Brandon Downes (FR, Univ. of Virginia), his second of the year, gave the Rafters a 1-0 lead in the first. The Rafters would leave the bases loaded in the second, an opportunity that would loom large as the game progressed.
It was a back-and-forth affair in the middle innings. After Wisconsin Rapids tied it at 2-2, Madison took a 3-2 when Tyler Marincov knocked in his 30th RBI of the year, scoring Luis Munoz who led off the fifth with a double.
The Mallards knocked Rafters' starter Ben Heller (JR, Olivet Nazarene) out of the game in the 6th after Madison made it 4-2 on a wild pitch. The lead represented the first two-run lead of the game for either side. Another would score in the inning to Heller's ledger when Marincov knocked in his second RBI on a groundout off of Skyler Debilzen (JR, UW-La Crosse).
Two more in the ninth for Madison made it 7-2 going into the final frame for the Rafters' bats. Coming into the bottom of the ninth with just two runs and two hits, the Rafters more than doubled their production in the ninth. Back-to-back singles from Pat Kelly (FR, Univ. of Nebraska) and Brandon Hohl (JR, Univ. of Illinois) both scored on wild pitches but the Rafters came up just short when the tying run in Jordan Dreiling (JR, Univ. of Kansas) would attempt to bunt for a hit to end it. The three-hit ninth was by far the Rafters most productive one, but it wasn't enough, as the Rafters fell 7-4 at home.
Ben Heller (2-2) took a loss for the second straight time. The right-hander went just 5.1 innings, his shortest start. He allowed six hits and walked three. In relief, Danny Sullivan (1-1), who threw four innings of one-hit, one-run ball, picked up his first victory.
The two face-off once again, as the Rafters celebrate America with day baseball on July 4th. The final game of the first-half of the season is scheduled for 1:05, as the Rafters celebrate Incourage Community Foundation Day. The first 250 fans that bring a non-perishable food item to the park will receive 2-for-1 tickets.
The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters are members of the 16-team summer collegiate Northwoods League. The Rafters will play a 70 game schedule with 35 home games in 2012. Available quantities of all promotional giveaways will vary from event to event and will be available on a first come, first serve basis. The best way to guarantee giveaway items is to purchase a 9-Game Package by calling the Rafters ticket office at 715-424-5400. Office hours are Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. For more information, visit www.raftersbaseball.com.
Northwoods League Stories from July 3, 2012
- Mallards Hold on to Beat Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Come up Short in Return Home - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Ferrell, MoonDogs Run over Bucks - Mankato MoonDogs
- Hermans Lifts Bullfrogs past Wisconsin 6-1 - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Honkers Win Slugfest 12-11 - Rochester Honkers
- Loggers Handle Bombers in Opener - Battle Creek Bombers
- Woodchucks Stumble, Drop Their Second Game Straight - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mid Summer Goose Droppings - Rochester Honkers
- Rafters Awarded Waiver Claim on Former La Crosse Pitcher Bo Henning - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Mallards Come back to Take on Rafters - Madison Mallards
- Rox Bit by Huskies - St. Cloud Rox
- Willmar Suffers Late-Inning Loss to Beetles, 5-4 - Willmar Stingers
- La Crosse Rallies past Bullfrogs - Green Bay Bullfrogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.