Fort Wayne Rallies Late and Wins 5-4July 2, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Lake County Captains
Lake County got on the board in the bottom of the first inning, Francisco Lindor walked and scored on a two out double by Alex Monsalve and the score was 1-0 Captains. The two-bagger was the seventeenth of the season for Monsalve a team high.
Fort Wayne answered in the top of the eighth inning. Yeison Asencio singled to left field to begin the frame and then scored on the two-run homerun by Duanel Jones. Jones' homer was his third homerun of the season and the score at the time was 2-1 TinCaps. Fort Wayne added another run in the inning when Tyler Stubblefield, who singled, scored on a double by Travis Jankowski. The score was 3-1 headed to the bottom of the second inning.
Lake County scored a run in the second inning to close the gap. Bryson Myles doubled to begin the inning and scored on a double play groundout by Leonardo Castillo and the score was 3-2 In favor of the TinCaps. In the third, the Captains tied the ballgame. Jose Ramirez doubled to lead off the inning, moved to third on a groundout and scored on a single by Luigi Rodriguez. The score was tied at 3-3.
Fort Wayne took the lead in the top of the fourth inning. Duanel Jones singled and moved to third on a two base error. He later scored on a groundout by Kyle Gaedele and the TinCaps regained the lead 4-3.
In the bottom of the eighth inning, Luigi Rodriguez singled and advanced to second base on a single by Alex Monsalve. Rodriguez stole third base and scored on a sacrifice fly by Jerrud Sabourin and the score was 5-4 headed to the ninth inning. That proved to be the final score.
RHP Mason Radeke (5-2) took to the mound for Lake County, Radeke went five innings, he allowed seven hits, four runs, three were earned Radeke did not walk anyone and struck out four. Radeke allowed the homerun to Jones as well. Mason was saddled with the loss. Felix Sterling pitched two innings he did not allow a hit and retired all six hitters that he faced in the ballgame. Francisco Valera pitched one inning and allowed two hits and one earned run. Valera struck out one TinCap in his outing. Kyle Petter pitched one inning and allowed one hit.
RHP Cody Hebner (6-3) took the mound for Fort Wayne and did not get a decision. Hebner pitched three innings, allowing five hits,and three earned runs. Hebner walked one and fanned two. Dennis O'Grady (1-0) got the win and pitched three innings, allowing three hits and he fanned three himself. Johnny Barbato went two innings and gave up one earned run on three hits and one walk and two strikeouts. Matt Stites pitched a perfect ninth inning to earn his sixth save of the season.
The home stand concludes Tuesday with Bark in the Park Night, presented by Home Savings. Dog owners can bring their dogs to the park when they purchase a $5 pooch pass. A portion of the proceeds from the pooch passes will benefit Lake Humane Society & Adoption Center. Dog owners can purchase their tickets for a special $7 price.
There will be a special Fireworks extravaganza following the Tuesday, July 3 game beginning at 7 PM, at Classic Park as a prelude to the 4th of July holiday. This is annually one of the biggest fireworks shows of the year following a Captains game. LHP Elvis Araujo (2-6, 4.84) to the mound against RHP Ruben Mejia (1-2, 3.89) for the TinCaps.
Full season tickets plans, 7-, 12-, 20-, and 35-game mini ticket plans for the 2012 season are on sale now at great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
The Lake County Captains are a Class A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians and play their home games at Classic Park in Eastlake, at the corners of State Route 91 and Vine Street. For more information on the Captains, please visit the team's official website at www.CaptainsBaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from July 2, 2012
- Quad Cities' Winning Streak Snapped in 9-2 Loss to Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Beloit bites Kernels with another one-run loss, 6-5 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Navarro Delivers Game-Winner in Extras - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Carpenter Stellar But Hot Rods Fall Late - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Buckley's Homer Lifts Dragons to Comeback Win - Dayton Dragons
- Sanchez's Seven Guide Loons to Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Bees Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Burlington Bees
- Hawks withstand Pillar HR, top Lugs in 10 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Chiefs Lose for Sixth Straight Night - Peoria Chiefs
- West Michigan Nearly No-Hit In 1-0 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Rattlers Rock River Bandits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Score Shutout Win over Chiefs - Kane County Cougars
- TinCaps Hang On, Defeat Captains, 5-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Fort Wayne Rallies Late and Wins 5-4 - Lake County Captains
- Former Kernels Trout, Trumbo and Napoli Selected to MLB All-Star Game - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- OF Lee Orr Placed on DL - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Voting Underway for Dragons Players of the Month - Dayton Dragons
- Shane Riedie joins Kernels from Orem; Eswarlin Jimenez placed on DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- MWL Honors Sanchez as Pitcher of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- Pair of Former Cougars Named Major League All-Stars - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for July 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Tickets for July 4 and 5 Whitecaps Games on Sale for $5 Today - West Michigan Whitecaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.