Strawn Fires 2-Hitter as AirHogs Even SeriesJune 23, 2012 - American Association (AA) Grand Prairie AirHogs
Strawn (4-0) allowed a pair of singles and one walk, had one hitter reach on an error, and struck out six. The righty did not allow a baserunner after the one-out error in the fifth, retiring the final 14 Jackals in order.
The AirHogs (23-12) scratched out runs in the fifth and the ninth on RBIs by catcher Zane Chavez, and Brian Myrow hit a solo home run to right in the sixth for the AirHogs run off New Jersey ace Steve Fox (5-1).
Strawn never had two men on base in one inning and New Jersey (21-13) only had one runner reach third, striking out Chris Curran swinging to end the bottom of the fifth when it was still 1-0.
The righty only threw 95 pitches (70 for strikes) and induced 15 groundball outs.
Notes: Chavez has caught all four complete-game shutouts by the AirHogs this season...After starting the series 0-for-5, Myrow has gone 4-for-5 since...John Brownell had the other two-hitter by an AirHogs pitcher this year, at Sioux City on May 29...Sunday's game will be the first rubber match of a three-game series for the AirHogs this year in eight series...The game time (2:12) was the second shortest nine-inning game of the season behind the 2:09 in Brownell's two-hitter.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs conclude their three-game series against the New Jersey Jackals, on Sunday, June 24, at 1:05 p.m. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is Friday, June 29, at 7:05 p.m. against the Amarillo Sox. That night is QuikTrip Night, with free ticket vouchers available at local QuikTrip stores. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
American Association Stories from June 23, 2012
- Pheasants Outdueled by Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts hang defeat on Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- Frost Warms up Saints with Longball in 4-2 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Hinson Stellar in Wingnuts' Eighth Straight Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- One Run Not Enough as Goldeyes Lose Two in a Row - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Holdren the Hero, Parise Solid in 'Dogs Victory - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Fall on Ninth-Inning Homer - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Strawn Fires 2-Hitter as AirHogs Even Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Giarraputo Has Final Word in Jackals Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Lemurs Win First Game of Road Trip - Laredo Lemurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.