Ty Rattie and Brendan Leipsic to Represent Canada vs. RussiaJune 15, 2012 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Portland Winterhawks
The first two games will take place in Yaroslavl, Russia, on Thursday, August 9 and Friday, August 10, followed by games on Monday, August 13 and Tuesday, August 14 at the Halifax Metro Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
The 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge is being held to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the 1972 Summit Series. The event will replace Canada's National Junior Team Summer Development Camp this season and will serve as part of player evaluations for the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship, scheduled for December 26, 2012 to January 5, 2013 in Ufa, Russia.
"Being selected for the Canada-Russia Challenge is a tremendous honor for Ty and Brendan," said Winterhawks Head Coach & General Manager Mike Johnston. "Canada-Russia is the most famous rivalry in hockey, and the opportunity to represent their country is something all players dream about."
Rattie is coming off a spectacular season in which he posted 57 goals and 64 assists for 121 points in the regular season, then added 19 goals and 14 assists for 33 points in 21 playoff games, helping lead the Hawks to the team's second straight Western Conference championship. He was named to the Western Conference First All-Star Team.
In his second season, Leipsic registered 28 goals and 30 assists for 58 points, nearly doubling his 2010-11 output. Leipsic then scored seven goals and added eight assists for 15 points in 20 playoff games.
Season tickets for the 2012-13 season are on sale now. Visit winterhawks.com or call 503-236-HAWK to make sure you catch all the action.
Western Hockey League Stories from June 15, 2012
- Royals' Harris Honoured by Camosun College - Victoria Royals
- Renewal Deadline Extended to June 19th - Spokane Chiefs
- Reinhart and Brossoit to Represent Canada - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Ty Rattie and Brendan Leipsic to Represent Canada vs. Russia - Portland Winterhawks
- Murray to Play in Canada-Russia Challenge - Everett Silvertips
- Raiders Sign Top Three Draft Picks - Prince Albert Raiders
- Nine WHL Players Named to Team Canada Roster for 2012 Canada-Russia Challenge - WHL
- Cougars Sign Jansen Harkins - Prince George Cougars
- Blazers Sign Halbgewachs - Kamloops Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.