GreenJackets Sweep TwinbillJune 14, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Augusta GreenJackets
In game one, the Drive built an early 3-0 lead with single runs in each of the first three innings. Drew Turocy's RBI single in the first got Greenville on the board while sacrifice flies from Lucas LeBlanc and Boss Moanaroa in the second and third helped build the three-run lead. Meanwhile, the GreenJackets were held to just three hits through the first six innings as Mickey Pena fired five scoreless innings of two-hit ball for the Drive.
The GreenJackets got two on against Greenville reliever Nefi Ogando (1-4) in the sixth, but hit into a double play to end the inning. In the seventh, Garrett Buechele led off with a single to spark the four-run, game-winning rally. After Joe Staley went down on a called third strike, Brett Krill walked and pinch-hitter Ben Thomas singled to load the bases. Jesus Galindo beat out a double play to bring home Augusta's first run on the inning's second out. Kelby Tomlinson walked to reload the bases for Shawn Payne, who drilled a 3-2 pitch down the left field line for a double that scored all three runs and gave the GreenJackets their fifth walkoff win of the season and second in as many games.
Augusta got a solid start from Kevin Couture, who allowed three runs - one earned - on five hits and a walk in six innings, a season-long. Jacob Dunnington (1-0) fired a perfect seventh inning to earn the win.
Greenville again drew first blood in the nightcap, scoring in the first before the GreenJackets stormed back to score the game's final six runs in the 6-1 Augusta win. Henry Ramos drilled a two-out, RBI single to put the Drive up 1-0 in the first inning. The GreenJackets didn't take long to claim a lead of their own though. Payne singled and stole second with two outs in the first, scoring on a Wes Hodges game-tying single. Thomas followed with an RBI single of his own to give Augusta a 2-1 lead.
In the second inning, the GreenJackets sent eight to the plate to score four runs and essentially put things out of reach. Jeff Arnold doubled home a run, Tomlinson singled home two more and Payne singled home a fourth to round out the inning and hand the GreenJackets a five-run lead.
Adalberto Mejia was solid in a spot start for the GreenJackets in the nightcap, allowing a run on four hits and two walks while fanning a season-high seven. Derek Law (5-0) retired six of the seven he faced to earn the win on a night where 12 of the 21 putouts recorded by Augusta pitchers were strikeouts.
Greenville starter Jason Garcia (1-4) was chased after two innings, allowing six runs on seven hits in the loss.
The GreenJackets - perhaps the hottest team in the South Atlantic League - will look for their fourth straight win on Friday against the Drive. Edwin Escobar (2-4, 4.03) takes the ball for the GreenJackets against Noe Ramirez (0-0, 0.00) of the Drive. First pitch comes at 7:05 p.m. with radio pregame coverage beginning at 6:50 p.m. on ESPN Radio 1340 AM and online at www.greenjacketsbaseball.com.
Single-game tickets for any GreenJackets home game are currently available by calling the GreenJackets front office at 706-922-WINS and online at www.greenjacketsbaseball.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from June 14, 2012
- Cleary Jr. Paces T's in 5-4 Win over Legends - Asheville Tourists
- Crawdads Crack BlueClaws with 7-1 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Suns Outlast Power 8-6 In Series Opener - Hagerstown Suns
- Power lose 8-6 to Hagerstown - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Sweep Twinbill - Augusta GreenJackets
- Early Runs Doom 'Claws in 7-1 Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Cleary's Big Night Sends Tourists to 5-4 Win over Legends - Lexington Legends
- Drive Drop Double-Dip to Begin Road Trip - Greenville Drive
- Braves Blanked by Sand Gnats 6-0 - Rome Braves
- Shorebirds Knock off Intimidators, 6-4 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Greensboro Sneaks Past RiverDogs 6-14-12 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Tourists Playoff Tickets on Sale June 23 - Asheville Tourists
- Savannah Sand Gnats and Southern Eagle Announce Military Appreciation Night and US Army Birthday Bas - Savannah Sand Gnats
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- Get to the All-Star Game Early to See All of the Action - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.