Over 40,000 Tickets Sold to Earthquakes' June 30 MatchJune 14, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) San Jose Earthquakes
The Earthquakes are aiming to set a new club record for single-game attendance at a non-doubleheader match. The current record is 41,028, a mark reached on July 2, 2011 when San Jose hosted the New York Red Bulls in a 2-2 draw at Stanford Stadium. Capacity at Stanford Stadium is 50,000.
San Jose is looking to win its second straight against the defending MLS Cup champions. The first round of the California Clasico on May 23 at The Home Depot Center ended in dramatic fashion with Alan Gordon scoring in the fourth minute of stoppage time to cap a 3-2 comeback Earthquakes win.
Five Biggest Attendances in Club History
1. *73,123 - Earthquakes vs. D.C. United at Stanford Stadium, July 4, 1999
2. **61,572 - Earthquakes vs. Columbus Crew at Candlestick Park, August 8, 2009
3. 41,028 - Earthquakes vs. New York Red Bulls at Stanford Stadium, July 2, 2011
4. 39,872 - Earthquakes vs. LA Galaxy at Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, July 14, 2008
5. 31,683 - Earthquakes vs. D.C. United at Spartan Stadium, April 6, 1996
*Match played as first game of a doubleheader with U.S. Women's National Team and Brazil during the FIFA Women's World Cup
**Match played as first game of a doubleheader with FC Barcelona and Chivas de Guadelajara
Major League Soccer Stories from June 14, 2012
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- Over 40,000 Tickets Sold to Earthquakes' June 30 Match - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers U-23s Play Host to North Sound Sunday - Portland Timbers
- Three Impact Academy Players Named to Canadian U15 Team - Montreal Impact
- Ethan White Loaned to Richmond Kickers - D.C. United
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Launch MLS Third Kit - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- 'Copita Rapids' to Take Place on July 22 - Colorado Rapids
- Forward Bernardo Corradi Will Remain with Impact - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.