Peoria blanks Kernels, 2-0June 8, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Cedar Rapids Kernels
It was the second straight shutout for Peoria over the Kernels, and for the second straight game Peoria's Zeke DeVoss led off with a base on balls and scored in the 1st inning. DeVoss drew the walk from Kernels starter Dan Reynolds. He went to second base on an error by first baseman Trevor Hairgrove as Reynolds attempted a pickoff. Taiwan Easterling then following with a RBI single to center to score DeVoss and give the Chiefs a 1-0 lead.
Reynolds (0-1) retired 7 hitters in a row after Easterling's single, and it was the only hit he allowed in 5 innings of work. He took the tough-luck loss, despite allowing 1 unearned run on 1 hit. He struck out 2 and walked 3.
Frank De Jiulio pitched 2 innings in relief and struck out 5 as he didn't allow a hit. He actually struck out 4 batters in the 7th inning because Javier Baez reached on a wild pitch after striking out.
Peoria recorded their second hit and second run in the 8th inning, taking a 2-0 lead. Taiwan Easterling walked with one out, stole second base, and scored on a RBI double by Anthony Giansanti. Logan Odom pitched 1 inning for the Kernels, allowing 1 run on 1 hit while striking out 1 and walking 2.
Michael Jensen (6-2) started for the Chiefs and got the victory. He went 5 innings, allowing 0 runs on 1 hit while striking out 7 and walking 3. Felix Pena went 2 scoreless inning in relief while allowing 2 hits and striking out 5. Hunter Cervenka recorded his 1st save as he pitched the final 2 innings, allowing 0 runs on 0 hits, while striking out 2.
The Kernels conclude the series at Peoria on Friday night at 7:00 p.m. The team returns home on Saturday at 6:35 p.m. to take on Clinton. Fireworks follow the game on Saturday night at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium!
Morgan Hawk brings you the action on the radio home of Kernels baseball, KMRY. Listen at 1450 AM or 93.1 FM, as well as www.kernels.com and www.kmryradio.com . Tickets are available online at www.kernels.com or by calling the Kernels box office at 896-7560. Ticket office hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday.
Midwest League Stories from June 8, 2012
- Bees Shut Out, 7-0 to Beloit - Burlington Bees
- Hawks Blanked in Series Finale with Loons - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Miller time for the Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Sweep Kernels in Record Setting Fashion - Peoria Chiefs
- River Bandits Fall to Cougars, Suffer First Sweep of 2012 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cougars Sweep River Bandits - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Enjoy Big Inning, Beat Dragons 14-6 - Dayton Dragons
- Floethe, Hot Rods blank Lugnuts, 3-0 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rea Leads TinCaps to 5-0 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Epic Eighth Inning Elevates Captains to the Win - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Announce Roster Changes - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Reds Bill Bray Scheduled to Pitch for Dragons Saturday, Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Kernels Homestand Preview: June 9-14 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Gameday for June 8 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps, Minor League Baseball See Attendance Increases - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappy D. Turtle Makes Elite 8 in MiLB Mascot Mania - Beloit Snappers
- Lou E. Loon Advances to the Elite 8 - Great Lakes Loons
- Peoria blanks Kernels, 2-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.