U.S. Soccer Announces U.S. Open Cup Possible Quarterfinal PairingsJune 4, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) D.C. United
D.C. United's match versus the Union on Tuesday, June 5, takes place at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, Md., with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m. ET. Tickets are just $15 in advance via dcunited.com or $20 the day of the match. Ticket sales at the SoccerPlex will be cash only. Parking is free. The SoccerPlex Beer Garden will be open on Tuesday and include Corona, Yeungling, Bud Light, Dog Fish IPA, and Flying Dog In Heat Wheat "" all available for $5 each. D.C. United has twice won the U.S. Open Cup, in 1996 and again in 2008. Last year, United beat the Philadelphia Union, before falling to New England, in Open Cup play.
The remaining 16-team U.S. Open Cup field consists of eight Major League Soccer (Division I) teams, three clubs from the North American Soccer League (Division II), three from USL PRO (Division III), one Premier Development League (amateur) team and one USASA (amateur) regional qualifier.
The 99th edition of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup includes a random selection process for determining home teams from the first round through the quarterfinals among clubs that have applied to host. The process, conducted by a coin flip, gives participating teams with venues meeting tournament standards an equal chance at hosting their possible opponent for these rounds.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 4, 2012
- Root Sports Receives Emmy Awards for Timbers Broadcasts - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Hosts Colorado Rapids on Tuesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Weekly Update: Red Bulls Hunt for Open Cup Quarterfinals Berth Tuesday - New York Red Bulls
- Red Bulls to Stream New York-Harrisburg Fourth Round U.S. Open Cup Match - New York Red Bulls
- Impact Hosts New England Revolution Tuesday in Reserve League - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- LIVESTRONG Sporting Park to Host U.S. Men's National Team in World Cup Qualifier - Sporting Kansas City
- Weekly Update: Rapids Visit Sporting Kansas City in U.S. Open Cup - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Use Break to Gear up for New York Red Bulls - Chicago Fire
- Montreal Impact Summer Camps Start in Three Weeks - Montreal Impact
- U.S. Soccer Announces U.S. Open Cup Possible Quarterfinal Pairings - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.